[Nfb-editors] June 2014 issue of Que Pasa

Robert Leslie Newman via Nfb-editors nfb-editors at nfbnet.org
Tue Jun 3 15:01:32 UTC 2014

The

QUE PASA

June 2014

Quarterly newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico

(Published in March, June, September, and December)

Adelmo Vigil, President

E-mail: Avigil74 at gmail.com

(575) 921-5422

James Babb, Editor

E-mail: jim.babb at samobile.net

(505) 291-3112

Tonia Trapp, Assistant Editor

E-mail: Tonialeigh513 at earthlink.net

(505) 856-5346

Table of Contents

PREAMBLE <> . 2

EDITOR <> ’S NOTE. 2

29TH CSUN CONFERENCE ON TECHNOLOGY FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES <> . 3

AT THE DEPOT <> . 6

LETTER TO ALBUQUERQUE PUBLIC SCHOOLS REGARDING TECHNOLOGY TRAINING FOR BLIND
STUDENTS <>   7

NATIONAL REHABILITATION ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR <> . 12

THANK YOU NOTE <> . 15

WILLIAM EDWARD CRAMER <> . 15

RESOLUTION 2014-01 REGARDING PRINCIPLES THAT SHOULD GOVERN THE SELECTION OF
SCREEN ACCESS TECHNOLOGY FOR VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION CLIENTS <> . 20

RESOLUTION 2014-02 REGARDING CO-SPONSORING THE FAIR WAGES FOR WORKERS WITH
DISABILITIES ACT, H.R. 831 <>   22

RESOLUTION 2014-03 COMMENDING REPRESENTATIVE MICHELLE LUJÁN GRISHAM FOR
CO-SPONSORING H.R. 831, THE FAIR WAGES FOR WORKERS WITH DISABILITIES ACT <>
. 23

RESOLUTION 2014-04 REGARDING NEW VOTING MACHINES PURCHASED BY THE STATE OF
NEW MEXICO <> .. 24

GOOD EATING <> .. 26

SALTED ALMOND ICE CREAM <> ... 26

LOW-CARB RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE MOUSSE <> . 27

USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS AND WEBSITES <> . 28

MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS <> . 29

PREAMBLE

The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) is a 501 (c) 3
consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to
changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often
a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our own personal experience
that with training and opportunity, it can be reduced to the level of a
physical nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive services and
training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children
receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to
be happy, productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means
that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to
see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States,
enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most
serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with
discrimination based on the public’s ignorance and misinformation about
blindness. Join us in educating New Mexicans about the abilities and
aspirations of New Mexico’s blind citizens.

(Adapted from NFB of Ohio newsletter.)

EDITOR’S NOTE

By Jim Babb, Editor

Hello everyone,

I hope this edition of Que Pasa finds you in good health and ready to enjoy
a great year in 2014. We already have had a great State convention and the
National Convention in Orlando is just around the corner. Many Chapters and
Divisions have fundraisers and social events in the upcoming months. The
annual State Fair Parade is in September, and many of us will proudly march
in it. White cane events are scheduled for October. October also starts the
75th year of our great organization, and many related events and activities
will happen; stay tuned so you can participate. Thanks to all of you who
sent articles, recipes, poems and more; that’s what keeps this newsletter
going. Thanks to Tonia Trapp as a partner in assembling and distributing
this newsletter and reading it onto State Newsline.

29TH CSUN CONFERENCE
ON TECHNOLOGY FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

By Curtis Chong

Since 1986, the Center on Disabilities at California State University at
Northridge has held an annual conference (affectionately referred to as the
CSUN conference) to showcase technologies that are of interest to people
with disabilities--including the blind. Over the years, the CSUN conference
has been hailed as the most important international conference to attend
each year in this field, and it has attracted worldwide attention.

Since 1993, I have had the opportunity to attend a number of CSUN
conferences, and I was privileged to be able to attend the 29th CSUN
conference, held this year in San Diego, California, from March 17-21.

I noticed this year that the conference seemed to have become somewhat
smaller than it was when I last attended it in 2011. In terms of new
technology for the blind, the only thing of interest that I saw was the
Blaze, announced by HIMS, which is a beefed up Book Sense with a camera and
OCR software built in. HIMS proposes to sell this for around $700, but the
product is only in a prototype form at this point in time. Many of us are
familiar with the KNFB Reader which, in total, cost around $1,600. It would
appear that HIMS will be selling a hand-held reading system for about half
the price. Whether it will have the same power and flexibility of the KNFB
Reader is, as yet, not something we can predict.

I attended a session discussing the accessibility of cloud-based
productivity suites (e.g., Google Docs, iCloud.com, Office Online, and
similar offerings). The bottom line is that none of the cloud productivity
suites will work with every screen access program/browser combination, which
is the "gold standard." There is a long way to go before we can judge
cloud-based programs (e.g. Word in the cloud, PowerPoint in the cloud, etc.)
to be as accessible to the blind as their counterparts on desktop/laptop
computers.

American Thermoform (ATC) is getting into the 3D graphics business. I saw
two devices at the ATC table that could be used to create a
three-dimensional object. One costs $2,200 and the other is more than
$7,000. These devices are terrific for producing three-dimensional models
that children (and others) can examine by touch. Now it is up to the
education system to take advantage of what is now available.

While at CSUN, I had an opportunity to examine a new Braille embosser,
called the Cosmo. The Cosmo is like a Perkins Brailler except that is
extremely quiet (and also a lot more costly). One can envision a blind
student using this in the classroom to write text. However, I was more than
a little concerned that the Cosmo does not have the same feel as a Perkins
and certainly does not lend itself to interactive Brailling--Brailling where
you can actually feel the dots you write as they are written and where you
can tell exactly where on the page the next letter will appear. The Cosmo
costs around $2,500. From where I sit, the one thing that gives it appeal is
its ability to facilitate the learning of Braille through a remote
connection. Dubbed BERT, this connection enables both the teacher and
student to communicate by voice and keyboard in real time during a remote
teaching session; any key depressed by the student on the BERT Braille
keyboard will be immediately recognized by the teacher either on his/her
refreshable Braille display or (for a sighted teacher) on his/her computer
screen.

At CSUN, I attended a session discussing efforts to make QuickBooks
accessible to the blind. QuickBooks is an accounting program which has
traditionally been very difficult (if not impossible) to use with nonvisual
screen access technology. Intuit (the company which manufactures the
QuickBooks software) and a company called My Blind Spot are partnering to do
this. It has taken Intuit's executive management a very long time to make a
commitment to this effort, but now that the commitment has been made, we can
see some marginal improvements with the release of QuickBooks 2015, R5.
However, the accessibility is not achievable without scripts for JAWS that
will be supplied (at no charge) by My Blind Spot. Also, it should be noted
that only critical QuickBooks functions are being worked on. Although I
cannot say that QuickBooks will be fully accessible to the blind any time
soon, I can say that the critical and most frequently-used functions of
QuickBooks will probably be accessible in a few weeks.

I attended a session conducted by Google discussing the accessibility of
Google Docs. Google Docs is an online system which is supposed to allow
several people to work together on a document which is stored in the cloud.
Google Docs is very difficult for a blind person to use with a program like
JAWS or Window-Eyes, and Google does not seem to be taking the most
effective action to address this issue. I was not pleased to observe that
the presenter was using a Google Cromevox computer to conduct the
demonstration and even more unhappy to hear that what was being shown would
not work if a blind person was using the JAWS for Windows screen access
program with the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. Suffice it to say that
if you want to know how to work around some of the accessibility issues that
have been identified with Google systems, you should point your browser to
www.google.com/accessibility.

Mike May from the Sendero Group conducted a presentation discussing the
ecosystem for touch screen devices. This was focused on the iPhone.
Researchers have been gathering data about the efficiency of blind users
entering data using the iPhone's touch screen. Average rates of from 3 to 5
words per minute (using the native QWERTY touch screen keyboard on the
iPhone) are the norm. Users who enter information using apps such as Braille
Touch or MBraille can type about 23 words per minute on average. The bottom
line is that no good way has yet been found to maximize our speed of entry
with regard to a touch screen device. Moreover, the iPhone can in no way be
regarded as the ultimate information appliance for a blind person who wants
to be at all productive. However, as an iPhone user myself, I will admit
that the iPhone is just nice to have when I need it.

In the exhibit hall at the CSUN conference, I noticed quite a few companies
selling CCTV's and hand-held digital magnifiers. There is no one CCTV or
hand-held magnifier which can be said to be the best. A lot depends on the
visual problems being experienced by the end user. Some people with low
vision need larger text. Others need the ability to adjust contrast and/or
color. One company from Germany told me that they saw no sense in making
progressively larger screens for the low vision market. After all, I was
told, someone with his/her nose right up to the screen would have more
trouble panning across a larger screen than a smaller one.

The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute conducted a
presentation discussing cell phones for seniors. Regrettably, the landscape
does not look favorable for this population. Everybody seems to want a smart
phone, but many seniors do not. They simply want a phone that enables them
to make and receive calls, manage contacts, and tell them who is calling
before they answer the phone. The Odin VI from Odin Mobile appears to be the
best offering, but there is also the Convoy 3 from Verizon, which is
somewhat less accessible than the Odin VI.

I met with a representative from Orbit Research, developers of the
accessible graphing calculator, now being sold by the American Printing
House for the Blind. The Printing House has experienced a backlog with
regard to this calculator, but I am told the backlog is expected to be gone
fairly soon. Also, Orbit Research is working with the U.S. Treasury
Department to distribute a currency identifier to the blind community. I
have no specific information about this effort other than that it is under
way. We should be hearing something by the summer.

I spent some time with Microsoft's Office team discussing the relative
strengths and weaknesses of Microsoft Office 2013. The team appeared to be
surprised by my assertion that none of the new features incorporated into
more recent versions of Microsoft Office had any appeal to nonvisual users.
In fact, what I said was that we had to work to disable some of the newer
features to make Office usable. I have supplied this team with some specific
examples. I also discussed declining keyboard productivity with each new
release of Office and was a little encouraged to learn that the Office team
is thinking about what to do to address this problem.

All in all, there were no startlingly new innovations revealed at CSUN, but
the conference was an excellent opportunity for me to keep pace with
developments in the nonvisual access and low vision fields.

AT THE DEPOT

By Art Tannenbaum

"Excuse me, sir

You really do well with”

Oh, no, not the white cane compliment thing again,

“your advocacy at City Council,” I smile;

He is a firefighter,

We discuss the politicization of public safety,

“I have great admiration and respect for public safety personnel,”

I stutter a bit – this man is big and burly;

He is Albuquerque Fire Dept.

and we are in Santa Fe

“Let me ask you your personal opinion,”

Go ahead, go ahead, he is eager to tell me

whatever I may want to know;

He used to be a Fire Marshal

until a few days after the new mayor had taken over,

He has put in his twenty years

And I feel I am more or less finished;

Afterward in chorus

I thank him for his public service

as he thanks me for the advocacy, again

with another handshake

Waiting for the southbound train.

LETTER TO ALBUQUERQUE PUBLIC SCHOOLS REGARDING TECHNOLOGY TRAINING FOR BLIND
STUDENTS

By Caroline Benavidez

April 8, 2014

To Whom It May Concern:

This weekend, I spent time with the National Federation of the Blind’s
Parents of Blind Children Division. Parents expressed their strong concerns
regarding the PARCC assessment in particular, and the lack of technology in
general, for their children. As I’ve reflected on their expressed passion, I
must join mine with theirs.

As a teacher of the blind and visually impaired in APS, I have had this same
growing concern but haven’t known where or how to share it in a way that
would bring about change. I have shared it with colleagues, and they have
wholeheartedly agreed but couldn’t offer any suggestions to bring about
change. And the need for change, now more than ever, is crucial.

In its position statement on technology and the Common Core, ISTE
(International Society for Technology in Education) states:

ISTE believes digital learning plays a central and substantive role in
ensuring all students graduate college and career ready. Technology, used
effectively, can help all        students meet and exceed the rigorous
learning goals embedded in the Common Core State Standards by providing
access to tools and resources that personalize instruction and creating
rich, engaging and relevant learning environments ...

With the advent of the 2014–2015 Common Core Online Assessments, it is
imperative that students’ learning takes place in a robust digital learning
environment in order for them to be successful on these new higher-order
thinking assessments.

As APS increasingly adopts online instruction from K-12, the VI students are
at an ever-growing disadvantage. Just about every literacy unit with Common
Core includes some use of technology. Students are expected to use computers
for research in science and social studies and to produce final
presentations using some form of technology. The Discovery Education website
is incorporated from the kindergarten level as standard practice. In the
coming school year, APS will be participating in the PARCC testing. However,
most of our VI students are unable to perform any of these tasks expected of
their peers on a daily basis. They are not included in the “all students”
being equipped to be college and career ready.

For a VI student, affective technology requires explicit knowledge and
skills unique to this population. In college, students will be expected to
use screen readers and OCR software on PC computers to read emails, do
research, participate in classwork, interact with other students, and
produce written products that show their knowledge and receive a grade. At
the workplace, visually-impaired employees must read information, fill out
forms, access emails, do research, enter data, etc. Just like other students
leaving high school, VI students are assumed to have these skills. But, they
don’t.

The current state of affairs in our district is drastically lacking in its
ability to ensure this “rich, engaging and relevant learning environment” is
available. On my site, elementary students are learning to keyboard and do
research on computers still running the XP platform. Therefore, they are not
internet accessible. Our middle and high-school students are not able to
learn to use those tools such as screen readers, scanners, and adapted
techniques for presentation because they do not have the equipment or
instruction by trained teachers. Assistive technology, according to the
National Agenda for the education of blind/visually impaired students, is
listed as one of the vital skills required for success. It is not optional.
It is just as crucial as orientation and mobility to a blind person’s
eventual independence and participation.

How do we address this current crisis? There are three main areas needing
attention. First, qualified instruction and support for VI teachers must be
reinstated. At one time, we had a full-time assistive technology person for
the VI department. This person’s sole responsibility was to train teachers,
assess and train students, and advise the purchase of appropriate, affective
technology. At this current time, when technology is a part of the daily
curriculum, our students' needs must be met again by someone qualified,
informed, and dedicated to the purpose.

Next, the district needs to recognize that, as with other implicitly-learned
skills, our VI students don’t learn by watching. They require direct,
hands-on instruction and time set aside to gain skill and confidence. I
suggest that assistive technology instruction should be treated as an
ancillary service just as orientation and mobility is. Students need
individualized instruction by an educator qualified to give this
instruction, and time must be set aside to ensure ultimate success. In the
elementary grades, students must be taught to use proper keyboarding,
exposed to refreshable Braille, and instructed in the use of screen-reading
software. At the mid and high-school levels, these previous skills should be
mastered. The teacher of the visually impaired should receive support and
training to ensure students are being prepared for independent access.

Third, all the district programs need to be equipped with the most current
versions of access software and hardware that supports their maximum
usability. IPads, refreshable Braille devices, notetakers, screen reading
and OCR software, and laptops are among the necessary components to assure
our students will be able to equally participate with their peers and be
career/college ready. Those using enlarged print should be using digital
magnifiers instead of cumbersome, bulky large-print materials.

I know these proposals sound lofty and daunting. However, parents are asking
me, as an APS teacher of the visually impaired, what they need to do to
assure their children are receiving the appropriate technology. I am asking
the same question. How can I participate in bringing about the focused
attention and needed changes to assure our students are leaving APS ready
for college and careers. This writing is my first step. It is not meant to
be critical or accusing but informative and motivating. Please know that I
am willing to be involved in any way I can.

Sincerely,

Caroline Benavidez

Certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired

Zia Elementary School