[Nfb-editors] Arizona - March "NEWS and VIEWS"

Robert Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Mar 6 16:30:30 UTC 2015

National Federation of the Blind of Arizona

News and Views

March, 2015

In This Issue

Greetings from Our President

Word on the street

Guess Who Just Took Another Trip Around the Sun

Washington Seminar Update

Proposed Changes to Service Animal Law Defeated

Lawmaker Relents on Plan to Bar Service Animals from Restaurants

Disabled Community Stops Bill to Ban Service Animals from Restaurants

Save the Date, 1st Annual Phoenix Seminar

Senior Division Sponsors Conference Calls in 2015

75 Days of Service Campaign

How Safe are you at Home?

Breaking Out of My Comfort Zone

Uber, a Wonderful Way to get Around

The Bookshelf, 2 Selections

IRS Services for People with Disabilities

Healthy Choice, Healthy Living, Losing Weight

East Valley Chapter News

Join Us in the West Valley

Phoenix Chapter News

Happenings in Tucson

Northern Arizona is on the Move

Flick, Swipe, and Tap, Review of Be My Eyes App

Sharing a Poem

The recipe box, Crockpot Enchiladas

Think tank

A round of applause

Debbies list

Stay connected

Grins and groan the usual endings

Navigation

To navigate quickly to the different articles in this newsletter using JAWS, System Access, NVDA, or Window Eyes, press the letter H to move through the headings.

Greetings from Our President

Hello, fellow Federationists,

*	We have a busy spring coming up! Our membership recruitment and engagement committee, along with our 75 years committee, will be making the rounds at each chapter to engage you in a leadership and philosophy seminar during April and May (more details will follow).
*	Please begin to make arrangements to participate in our national convention by making hotel reservations.  Info at, www.nfb.org/convention <http://www.nfb.org/convention> , The national convention agenda will become available in May.
*	Jernigan grant available for NFB members who have yet to participate in NFB national convention.  You will need to contact Bob Kresmer to fill out the competitive award.  Average grant help is about $500.00.  Please call or email me as soon as possible.
*	From Eve Sanchez, To all of the creative people in Arizona!

The Writers Division of the National Federation of the Blinds writing contest is coming to a quick close on April 1st. Get your submissions in soon. To check out all the guidelines, go to,  <http://writers.nfb.org/> http://writers.nfb.org.

Adult contests, poetry, fiction, non fiction, and stories for youth are open to all entrants eighteen and over. The youth writing contest, poetry and fiction, are to promote Braille literacy and excellence in writing. The contest is divided into three groups, determined by grade level, elementary, middle, and high school. Prizes for contest winners range up to $100 for adult categories, and up to $30 for youth.

New for 2015, being the Federation’s 75th birthday, the contest will for the first time ever, have a required theme. All submissions will need to somehow incorporate the theme of 75. It does not have to be necessarily about the anniversary of NFB. Just have fun finding a way to get that number in there and keep on writing.

If you have corrections, constructive advice, or news to share, please let me know!

Bob Kresmer

1 888 899 6322.

Word on the Street

Sorry folks, we have not received any entries for this section this month.

Got any news to share with us?  Send it in to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

We look forward to sharing your news with our extended family here within the NFB of Arizona.

Guess Who Just Took another Trip around the Sun?

Happy birthday to the following people who have birthdays in March!

March 10, Tony Sohl, from Tempe.

Please help us build our birthday list, by sending your first and last name, date of birth, (year optional), and the city you live in to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

Washington Seminar Update

By Donald Porterfield

Hello Federationists,

Amy and I recently returned from Washington, D.C., where we participated in the legislative director seminar at the National Center and the Washington Seminar in Washington, D.C.  During the Washington Seminar we presented the legislative priorities of blind Americans to our Congressional Members of the 114th Congress and their staff.

In addition to meeting with staff members from all eleven of Arizona’s congressional offices we had personal meetings with Congresswoman Ann Kirkpatrick, Congressman Matt Salmon and Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema.

The three legislative priorities are:

1) H.R. 188, Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act (The TIME Act).  This legislation was introduced by Congressman Gregg Harper to repeal the provision of the law that allows people with disabilities to be paid less than the minimum wage;

 2) The Technology, Education and Accessibility in College and Higher Education Act (The TEACH Act), which we anticipate will be introduced in both the House of Representatives and Senate soon, authorizes guidelines to help colleges and universities better identify accessible instructional material and meet legal obligations that protect blind students’ rights to equal access, and

3) The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled.  This is also known as the Books without Borders Treaty, and if ratified will make an incredible number of books that are currently unavailable to blind, visually impaired and otherwise print disabled persons accessible in a wide number of formats.  This last issue is currently a legislative priority for our two senators only since the Senate has the responsibility of ratifying treaties.

Please follow the following links for more detailed information on the legislative priorities of the National Federation of the Blind.

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/strategic_initiatives/time.docx> https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/strategic_initiatives/time.docx

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/strategic_initiatives/teach.docx> https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/strategic_initiatives/teach.docx

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/strategic_initiatives/marrakesh.docx> https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/strategic_initiatives/marrakesh.docx

We will try to schedule follow up meetings with our congressmen and congresswomen throughout the year when they are back in their districts.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at, 520 850 2180, should you have any questions or wish to participate in advocating for the rights of the blind.

Proposed Changes to Service Animal Law Defeated

By Donald Porterfield

Fellow Federationists,

On Tuesday, February 18, the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona and other disability groups were alerted that an amended bill was scheduled for a committee hearing in the Arizona House of Representatives at 9:00 a.m. on the 19th. The bill (HB 2179) included a quote, Strike all quote, amendment, which meant that the original language of the bill would be replaced with new and unrelated language.  If the bill were passed out of committee and subsequently passed into law, it would have fundamentally altered Arizonas service animal law (A.R.S. §11 1024). Proposed changes would have:

*	Required that individuals who use service animals obtain a permit from the Arizona Department of health Services in order to take their service animal in to a public place and that such permit be renewed on a regular basis.
*	As part of the permit process, an individual will be required to apply to the Department of Health Services and provide documentation from a medical professional certifying the applicant has a disability.
*	Required that a service animal wear a vest, also issued by the Department of Health Services at all times when in a public place. This vest will display permit information.
*	Allowed restaurants to block access for persons with service animals in order to meet local and or state health code regulations.
*	Required the Department of Health services develop a sign for restaurants to display indicating that service animals are not permitted and that a separate sign for other public businesses not serving food be created that indicates service animals are allowed.
*	Required the Arizona Department of Health Services to petition the United States Department of Justice requesting that the Americans with Disabilities Act be updated to comply with state law.

The National Federation of the Blind of Arizona and several other disability groups reacted quickly and organized an effective response to the proposed legislation. NFBA  has an active legislative committee, and along with members from the Tucson, Phoenix and East Valley chapters and its new guide dog division  appeared at the Arizona state Capitol building prior to the start of the meeting in order to register as many people as possible to speak against the bill in the committee hearing.  In addition, the legislative committee appealed to members that could not personally attend the meeting and asked them to email the committee chair and other committee members urging them to vote against the legislation.  We were able to send out approximately thirty emails before the committee hearing started.

During the hearing, the committee chair made it clear that his intent was not to pass legislation that imposed greater restrictions on persons with disabilities that require the use of service animals.  He intended to craft a bill that punished quote, bad actors, quote, or those individuals who masquerade their pets as service animals for the sole purpose of taking them into places that prohibit pets.  This intent was not evident in the wording of the bill.

Many members of the NFBA and the other disability groups testified in opposition to the bill.  All testimony given by the public indicated that the stated intent differed from that of the actual bill and that, as written, this bill violated the Americans with Disability Act.  Testimony suggested that rather than advance a bad bill, a bill should be written that focused on the quote, bad actors, quote, rather than persons with disabilities.

Due to effective grass roots advocacy by the NFBA and the other disability groups this bill was defeated with a unanimous vote of 8 to 0.  The committee members who commented on their votes cited the testimony given by the public as strongly influencing their votes.

My thanks and gratitude goes out to everyone who participated in the committee hearing, sent emails and made phone calls.

Lawmaker Relents on Plan to Bar Service Animals from Restaurants

By Howard Fischer, Capitol Media Services

Submitted by Bob Kresmer

Amy Porterfield and Dusty wait their turn Thursday to tell members of a House panel why lawmakers should not let restaurant owners keep out service animals and, by extension, their owners.

Facing a wave of criticism and legal questions, a Flagstaff Republican lawmaker gave up Thursday, at least for now, on his proposal to let restaurant owners keep out service animals and the people who need them.

Representative Bob Thorpe even agreed after extensive testimony in opposition to vote against his own legislation. HB 2179 died with a unanimous vote in opposition.

But Thorpe said he still believes there is a problem with those who claim the right to take Rex, or Spot, or Fluffy wherever they go. And Thorpe said he hopes to resurrect the proposal in some form quote, sometime in the future. Quote.

The only question is whether he can do that without running afoul of federal law.

Quote, Throughout the state we have bad actors, quote, Thorpe said. Quote, These are people that are pretending to be disabled so they can bring, for example, a family pet into locations that our health code would normally not allow. Quote.

His solution in HB 2179 was to have state health officials issue permits, complete with photos of owners and the dog or horse, to service animals which are trained to assist people with disabilities.

Donald Porterfield of the National Federation for the Blind said Arizona cannot do that. He said the Americans with Disabilities Act says people cannot be required to certify or disclose the nature of their disabilities.

But the real heartburn, and the real legal flaw, in Thorpes proposal was language which would have let restaurant owners say they want no animals at all, no matter what. Larry Wanger, executive director of the Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council, said there is no basis for that.

Quote, It is not a health issue, quote, he said. Quote, There are not dogs running around in the back of the restaurant. quote

Instead, Wanger said, it opens the door to discrimination.

Quote, It simply allows me as a restaurant owner to say, I do not like dogs, quote, he said.

Chianne Hewer of the Arizona Restaurant and Hospitality Association said what it also would do is put restaurant owners at risk of violating the ADA which says pretty plainly that places of public accommodation, including restaurants, cannot turn away someone solely because he or she has a service animal.

Amy Porterfield, a guidedog user for 20 years, testified that the federal law already gives restaurants legal options.

She said the owner can inquire if the service animal supports a disability, though not what the disability is, and can ask if the animal has been trained. And she said federal law permits a business to eject an animal if it behaves badly.

Thorpe continued to insist that it was not his intent to interfere with the rights of the disabled, insisting he was trying to help them by ensuring those who had been certified would get fewer questions. And he promised that if the House Government and Higher Education Committee approved this measure he would make changes as the measure went to the full House.

Foes, however, were not buying it, or willing to trust that the measure would get better.

Quote, While your intent may have been to help this community, that is not what your words say, quote, said Sarah Kader, attorney with the Arizona Center for Disability Law.

Representative Randall Friese, Democrat from Tucson, agreed, voting to kill the proposal now.

He called the health risks of a service dog quote, negligible. Quote. And Friese said Thorpes proposal would cause more harm than good.

Quote, I would much rather tolerate a few bad actors than to impinge upon the rights of people with disabilities, quote, he said.

Disabled Community Stops Bill to Ban Service Animals in Restaurants

By Hank Stephenson

Submitted by Bob Kresmer

People brought service animals to a House Government and Higher Education committee meeting Thursday to protest a bill that would bar service animals from restaurants.

The disabled community turned out en masse to oppose a bill that would allow restaurant owners to ban service animals from their restaurants, and the bill went down during a committee hearing.

Republican Rep. Bob Thorpe of Flagstaff introduced a strike everything amendment to HB2179 in his House Government and Higher Education Committee on Feb. 19, that would have allowed public places that serve food to kick out service animals to comply with state and local health codes.

The bill would have also required service animals to wear vests that display a permit issued by the Department of Health Services. People who put a fake vest on their pet and pretend the animal has service animal training would be subject to a fine of $100. The bill also would have required the Arizona Department of Health Services to petition the United States Department of Justice to update the rules relating to the Americans with Disabilities Act to comply with Arizona law.

Thorpe acknowledged that some of the portions of his law would quote, push past the limits of the ADA and federal law. Quote. He said as a states rights advocate, he does not mind pushing the limits of federal law.

But after receiving significant blowback from the disabled community and other Republican committee members, Thorpe ultimately voted against the proposal, leading the committee to a unanimous decision against the bill.

Thorpe said the bill was designed to crack down on bad apples who bring pets into restaurants and claim that they are service animals, and he never intended to make life harder for disabled people.

But dozens of disabled individuals, many with seeing eye dogs at their side, protested the bill. They said that while they appreciate Thorpes intent, the way the bill is written not only goes against the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, but would lead to discrimination against them.

Shannon Mandadi, a member of the Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired who uses a cane to help her get around, has a baby on the way and is considering switching to a seeing eye dog.

She told the committee that while she respects the intention of the bill, but the way it was written would lead restaurant owners to discriminate against her if she gets a service dog.

Quote, I have to know I am protected living in this state and have the same rights as everyone else, quote, she told the committee.

The Americans with Disabilities Act states that business owners can ask a customer if their animal is a service animal for a disability, but cannot ask for proof. If a person claims their dog is a service animal, the business owner, for the most part, must accommodate the animal.

But Thorpe said that business owners should have some way to differentiate legitimate service animals from pets to ensure people are not abusing the federal legislation to bring their poodles into a restaurant with them.

Thorpe originally intended to get the bill approved in committee and amend it later to deal with the disabled communitys concerns. But after more than an hour of debate on the legislation with groups like the Animal Defense League of Arizona, the Arizona Disability Advocacy Coalition, the Arizona Attorney Generals Office and even the Arizona Restaurant and Hospitality Association arguing against it, Thorpe agreed to hold the bill and not take a vote.

That was not good enough for Democratic Rep. Jonathan Larkin of Phoenix. He called for a vote on the bill, and after a roughly 30 minute recess to discuss how to proceed, the committee returned and voted.

Every member of the committee eventually voted against the measure, a rare bipartisan move from lawmakers.

Thorpe said he wanted to start a conversation about how to deal with bad actors, and the bill accomplished that. But after hearing from the disabled community, he realized the bill was not the right way to fix a problem.

Quote, I usually do not look forward to having my committee vote no (on my bills). But today I appreciate that because they are all voting their consciences, quote, he said,

before voting against the legislation himself.

Thorpe promised to work with the disabled community to address their concerns and find a way to crack down on people who pretend their pets are service animals, but declared his bill quote, dead on arrival. Quote.

The overflow crowd erupted in applause after the vote.

Save the Date, 1st Annual Phoenix Seminar

By Donald Porterfield

What:               Phoenix Seminar

When:              Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Time:                9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Where:             Arizona State Capitol

                        1700 West Washington

                        Phoenix, AZ

We have been working to make this event happen for a number of years, and now the time is right for Arizonas blind to have its day at the Capitol.  On Tuesday, March 17th the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona will have it first annual Phoenix Seminar where we will meet with legislators and present the legislative priorities of the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona.

In Arizona there are thirty legislative districts and each district has two members of the Arizona House of Representatives and one member of the Arizona Senate.  Those wishing to participate in the Phoenix Seminar are asked to try to schedule appointments with their senator and representatives.  After you have scheduled your appointments please email Donald Porterfield at,  <mailto:donaldpfield at gmail.com> donaldpfield at gmail.com with the following information:

*         Your name

*         Email address

*         Cell phone number (if you have one)

*         The name of the Member you are meeting with

*         The location of the meeting

*         The time of the meeting

If you are not certain who your state legislators are, go to,  <http://www.azleg.gov/alisStaticPages/HowToContactMember.asp> http://www.azleg.gov/alisStaticPages/HowToContactMember.asp and follow the instructions given.   Go to,  <http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=H> http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=H, where you can find the contact information for your representatives.  Go to,  <http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=S> http://www.azleg.gov/MemberRoster.asp?Body=S, for the contact information for your senator.

The talking points for the legislative priorities will be sent out over the NFBA listserv and a conference call will be scheduled prior to the Phoenix Seminar.  Please watch for more information in future emails about this important event.

Senior Division Sponsors Conference Calls in 2015

The National Federation of the Blind Senior Division proudly sponsors
the following conference calls on the topics listed below. Each conference
call will be moderated by an active member of the NFB:

Tuesday, February 24, 2015.
Cane Travel. Can I truly be an efficient cane user as a senior, if I have never
learned before? Moderators: Jeff Altman, Nebraska; Maurice Peret, BISM,
Maryland

Wednesday, March 4, 2015.
Braille: Can I learn Braille as a senior?
Moderator: Shelley Coppel, South Carolina, secretary of the NFB Senior
Division

Wednesday, April 8, 2015.
Organizing Paperwork, keeping track of banking, labeling, sorting and filing
necessary documents.
Moderator: Ruth Sager, Maryland, president, NFB Senior Division

Wednesday, May 13, 2015.
Hobbies, Pursuing favorite hobbies and crafts.
Moderator: Marguerite Woods, Maryland

Wednesday, June 10, 2015.
Leisure Time, dining out, movies, museums, enjoying favorite pastime
activities.
Moderator: Shelley Coppel, South Carolina

      All calls will be held at the times listed: 4:00 eastern standard.
time, 3:00 central time, 2:00 mountain time, and 1:00 Pacific time.
      The conference call number is, 712 432 1500, and the access code is 59633#.
      All calls will be recorded and put on the NFB Senior webpage, and
directions for calling in to listen to missed calls will be given a few
hours after the calls have taken place.
      In order to obtain the best possible sound for these calls, it is
recommended that each caller, after dialing in, press *6, which puts you in
a, mute mode. You will be able to hear everything during the call, but
background noise from your location will not disturb others listening in on
the conversation. When you wish to speak and enter the discussion, press *6
once again, and you will be released from the mute mode and able to
participate.
      It is also highly recommended that each person wishing to speak state
his or her name and wait for the moderator to recognize you before
speaking. The quality of our calls is diminished when we have too many
people trying to seek the floor at one time; chaos is the result, so a
little courtesy goes a long way in participating in an information filled
meeting. The moderators will do their very best to recognize as many
callers as possible; however, they will determine the order in which
speakers proceed. When finished with your comments, press *6 once again to
      We are very pleased that you are interested in joining our conference
call sessions, and we welcome your participation and input. We hope that
you will then share what you learn with others, and encourage friends and
colleagues to join you in participating in these calls. By the way, you do
not have to be a senior to participate and join with us. Each call will be
about one hour in length. Come join us, and learn to live the life you
want.

75 Days of Service Campaign

By Darian Smith

Fellow Federationists,

 Are you interested in making a positive difference in your community

while working to challenge common misconceptions about the blind? To

celebrate the 75th year of the National Federation of the Blind(NFB), the

National Federation of the Blind  Community Service Division, the NFB

Community Service Division of California and the NFB Community Service Division of the   District of Columbia

are proud to  present the 75 Days of Service project, which will take place from

April 12 to June 26. The purpose of this project is to encourage and

support Federationists in bringing about positive change to their

communities. Also,to show that blind people need  not  be recipients

of charity from society , that we can give of ourselves to society and

in so doing strengthen our belief in the philosophy of the Federation.

 You can take part in this project individually or with your chapter

or family, by engaging in a community service project, such as

volunteering for a nonprofit organization, local church or school, or

helping those in need in your neighborhood. Participants will be able

to share ideas and receive support during bi weekly conference calls

every other Sunday, and will also have the opportunity to write about

their experiences on the National Community Service Divisions blog.

The first call will take place on Sunday, April 12, at 7 pm Eastern. The

specific dates of each call will be announced next month.

 If you are interested in being a part of this exciting project, you

can sign up for the Community Service Division list serve  by  going

Community Service division at:

 <https://www.facebook.com/groups/205759772877055> https://www.facebook.com/groups/205759772877055.

How Safe are you at Home? Part 1

By Robert D. Sollars

We all like to think that at home we’re safe from the outside world. We feel insolated and safe. Unfortunately it only takes a minor event to shake the screen of invincibility we have imagined around us. And being disabled that’s a troubling development.

It is so unfortunate, but there are so many things that are so simple to protect ourselves, loved ones, property, and even our pets from harm. Yet, we ignore these things because we feel that nothing will ever happen to us at home. But that is not true.

For those of us that are disabled, there are even other issues with being secure in our homes. We have special problems to address. But they are not any more sophisticated than what a non disabled person could do to safeguard themselves.

Doors:

            The first thing you need to look at is The doors and windows, which are the most obvious, and easiest entry points for a hooligan. Yes, I said the easiest for them to break your screen of invincibility. Why do I say that, you ask? People actually forget to lock the door when they go out or otherwise leave it unattended. Usually, you don’t have to worry about a criminal breaking a window to gain entry. They will always pick the home that is the easiest pickins’ for a simple fact. Why take a chance on a home that is guarded by anything, much less security? And besides they don’t like to make noise, it attracts attention.

If you live in a house with a garage make sure that the garage door never remains up for any length of time without someone there to watch it. If you need to work in there and leave the door up for ventilation in the summer, fine. But do not go to the restroom for an extended period of time with it up.

Additionally, lock all exterior doors that lead into the garage and the house. No matter if you are at home or not. Take a lesson from above. If you leave the side door unlocked and the door to the house, from the garage, unlocked, what is to stop a criminal from just walking in? As for exterior doors, I do appreciate the fact that they should be ornamental to a degree. However, I have never been a big fan of doors that have so many windows in them as to allow someone to easily break one and get in, or worse, look into the house and be able to case it from the street.

On the other hand, front doors, that have leaded glass in them are perfectly acceptable. And some of these doors also have thermal glass that makes it a little bit harder to break. Are these the best to have? No, but they are better than doors that have no leaded lines or are thin enough to tap a hole undetected.

The next thing to ensure is that the exterior doors are not in disrepair, or cheap imitation secure doors. You have to make sure that if it is wood, that it is not a hollow core door. You can test this out by knocking on it. If it sounds hollow then it probably is. Find a solid core door to replace it. It does not matter if it is wood or metal. Metal doors are best, but they can be expensive, especially for the better ones.

Next you need to check the hinges and find out which way they swing. Never let your doors swing out on the exterior. While swinging inward has its risks, if they swing outward, you cannot stop it if someone wants to catch you off guard and grab it from you. And this brings up the other thing about doors. Ensure that the jamb itself is in good repair. Inspect it thoroughly to check for cracks or other type of weathering that may weaken it. If it is weak, it does not matter how expensive or secure the door, locks, & hinges are, it can be torn from the wall.

Locks:

Ensure that the locks that you employ on the doors are adequate and do not leave too much of the locking bolt exposed. Criminals can exploit that to gain entry. Make sure that the locks are fairly new and in good shape. Do not let them become weak, rusted, or jammed with whatever to prevent them from locking properly. Always ensure that you have a deadbolt on the door as well. This will help to ensure that no one can just smash through the door and get in. Some criminals will go to this length to do a home invasion.

And the next obvious question is what about chain locks and so on. Being perfectly honest they are useless to secure the door. If you crack the door to take an ID card or see who it is, a chain lock can be broken with less force than breaking your collar bone (about 5 pounds. Have a door stop if you want to crack the door to accept an ID card. That should stop them long enough for you to call for help.

If you have too much glass in the door, they can unlock the door by busting the window in one spot and not the whole door.

In addition to ensuring that you have decent locks, is the way the lock fits. You should not allow more than a quarter inch of the bolt to be exposed. And it should fit into the female half of the lock by at least an inch and a half. This will ensure that a miscreant will have to work hard to pop it.

Security when answering the door:

We have addressed the physical aspects of doors and locks, now we will move on to personal issues with the door. Never, ever, open the door to anyone who you do not recognize, accept for the mail or package, or someone you have called for a repair. This is one way that criminals can gain entry to your home and never have to break in.

Always ask the 5 questions that begin with W and H before you open the door for anyone or anything. It is an old journalism term that is just as applicable in security as it is in writing. Ask these questions before opening the door. Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How. If they cannot answer your questions to your satisfaction, then do not let them in. Trust your instincts and your gut when someone comes to the door. And what about if you are an easy mark?

            By easy mark, I mean elderly, disabled, or otherwise not in tip top shape. Carry your phone to the door with you. Whether it be a cordless or cell, take it with you. Dial 911, but do not hit the send button. If someone is bent on trying to bully you, or get in without you being satisfied who they are, then hit that button and call the police.

Do not let anyone bully you into opening the door when you do not want to do so. These people will lie, cheat, and say anything to get you to open the door. And like I said before, once you open the door nothing can stop them from walking in and doing what they want.

If you would like to ask a question or get security advice from Robert, contact him at, 480 251 5197.

Breaking Out of My Comfort Zone

By Marcus Schmidt

Have you ever tried to break boards with your bare hands? I have heard several times that some people can, but always thought they must be really tough or somehow be able to focus all their energy into a point. However they did it, I never envisioned myself doing it, until recently. My perspective changed at a youth leadership academy for the blind last May, where I was a counselor. A few adults demonstrated a technique to the youth, and it was not long until I heard of some youth even busting through 3 or 4 boards at a time. The National Federation of the Blind believes that pushing people out of their comfort zone is a very important part of training blind individuals to be more independent and successful, as it builds their confidence to try other things, thus enabling them to break through attitudinal barriers and grow personally.

As I sat there, unwilling to risk hurting my hands, I thought about what message I might be sending to the youth, for whom I was supposed to be a role model. Not wanting to show any fear of trying something new, but rather wanting to demonstrate a, can do attitude, I stepped out of my comfort zone by stepping forward to try breaking some boards. I reviewed the technique in person, took a step back, and took a good swing at the two boards being held in front of me. To my amazement, both broke completely through, and that without hurting my hand. The youth around me thought it was great, but I fell into introspection for a while. I wondered how many other things I had never tried in my life, simply because I believed what others told me was impossible for a blind person. I am so grateful to people who have pushed me to try new things, like my parents and my wife.

Shortly before that weekend with the blind youth, my wife Kim really pushed me out of my comfort zone, inciting me to do something I had always been afraid of. It was the last day of our two week vacation in Peru. We had visited several museums, fascinating ruins (like Machu Picchu) and had even spent half a week in the jungle. Now, we were ready to unwind a little, before returning home. We thought that spending some time relaxing on the beach would accomplish that, but found the water to be rather chilly, the surf unusually strong and the plentiful jellyfish to be rather large, a foot or so in diameter. As we bummed around a nearby outdoor mall, Kim marveled at a number of people paragliding, sailing on the updrafts on the steep coast, suspended from large parachutes. Though it sounded like fun, it was definitely something I had always said I would never do, as it seemed foolish to put my life in the hands of something as uncertain as the wind.

Nevertheless, as we were packing up our room on the last day of our trip, Kim announced: quote, I know what you are doing today. quote. I figured that it probably was something I really like, since she knows me quite well by now. But, when I learned that it was paragliding she was planning out, I thought she must have lost her mind. She tried to arrest my concerns by explaining that I would be accompanied by an experienced instructor; but, I did not gain much comfort from knowing that at least I would not be dying alone. Then my risk management logic kicked into gear in a somewhat unusual way. I figured, if the instructor is assuming this risk day in and day out, and has managed to survive it for several years, then I could possibly risk paragliding for 15 minutes. So, off we went to the coastal cliff.

When we got there and paid for my paragliding session, no one seemed too concerned about my blindness, since I would be flying in tandem with a sighted instructor anyway. I felt excited but not that nervous; however, when they hooked the harness around me and then ordered me to run towards the cliff, I was glad I could not see the 150 foot drop off in front of me. When my feet all of a sudden lost touch with the ground, I did feel rather uneasy for the first 10 seconds of being airborne. But, as we started gaining altitude and I felt the cool ocean breeze rush by my face, my fear gave way to bliss. Though it did feel rather odd to hear the foaming ocean so far beneath me, I was enjoying the freedom of a bird too much to really care. As the instructor was taking us through gentle swoops and loops, he remarked, quote, If I could only give you my eyes right now. quote. I replied, quote, But why? There is so much for me to enjoy with all my other senses. quote. So, he closed his eyes, and liked it so much that he kept them shut for a while. Of course, he did open his eyes again to bring us in for a safe landing. As we parted, I thanked him for a wonderful time, and he thanked me for opening his understanding to what it is like to be blind.

As each of us stepped out of our comfort zone that day, each of our lives was enriched. Once again, my understanding of what blind people can and cannot do was altered, thus boosting my confidence to try something else that is traditionally held to be impossible for someone who is blind.

Uber, a Wonderful way to get Around

By Harrison Tu

Most of us, at one time or another, have been stuck trying to go somewhere, with no transportation, and in a desperate need.  Well, one company decided to come in and fill the gap. Uber.  Uber is a service, that pairs drivers and passengers using an app on the iPhone or android. So you might be asking, how does this work?  It works like this.

Drivers, (who contract with Uber) drive their own cars to pick up passengers, as they request rides through the app.  A passenger (in this case we) will press a button in the (completely accessible with voice over) app.  They will then send out the closest available driver, using GPS technology to pinpoint the exact location of each driver in relation to the passenger.

The driver will then take the passenger whereever he or she needs to go, and then the app will deduct the fair from the credit card or paypal account of the passenger in question. Below I have listed a few advantages with Uber, over a regular cab service.

1. expense: Ubers, because of their technologically centred approach, are on average 30 to 40% cheaper than regular cabs.
2. safety: each driver has gone through background checks, to make sure that they are safe drivers, their car is safe, and they do not have a criminal record.
3. wait time: With a typical cab company, a passenger could be waiting upwards of 45 minutes for a cab.  With uber, the longest I have waited was 10 minutes, and that was on a very busy night.
4. direct contact: The driver and passenger can call each other, through the app, and never divulge each other's phone number.  This makes it very easy for a passenger and driver to find each other, without needing to go through a dispatcher.
5. No cheating: since no cash is ever handed to the driver directly, the driver cannot read an inflated meter, as they could in a regular cab. Also, they cannot drive you in circles, as this has no effect, as the milage is calculated by the app from the start point to the end point.
6. Customer service: In my experience, Uber drivers tend to be much nicer, friendlier, and easier to work with than regular cab drivers.  At the end of a ride, the driver and passenger rate each other.  If a drivers rating falls too low, they will be booted off of the system.

Let me take you through a sample Uber ride.  Yesterday, I got a message, saying I needed to take care of some business at the post office about 7 miles away.  So I went into the Uber app, and clicked set pickup location.  I did not need to type in my address, because it used GPS to find my location.  Then I clicked, request Uber, and it said, contacting drivers. Within about 10 seconds, I got the name of the driver, the vehicle, the license plate number, and information that he would be here in 5 minutes.  For those who can see a bit, there is a map with a dot showing where the driver is At the present time. Exactly five minutes later, the driver called me, and told me he was outside my block of flats.  I walked out, and after finding him, ggot in the car.

 I then told him where I needed to go, and I asked him if he would kindly wait for me, and then take me back, to which he agreed (there is a small charge on time, but they really do not mind waiting). We had a nice conversation on the way there, and then he offeredd to help me into the post office. After my business was concluded, we got back into the car, and headed back home.  When he dropped me off, I did not need to hand him any cash. He just ended the trip on his end, and I simply had to OK the charge to my credit card.  The final cost?  I went about 14 miles total, and spent about 40 minutes, and it came out to about $19.

So you might be wondering, how do I get to this wonderful service?  Well, click this link:
 <https://www.uber.com/invite/harrisont30> https://www.uber.com/invite/harrisont30
and you will be able to sign up.  Then download the Uber app on your phone, and you will be good to go!  As an added bonus, if you use the link above that I gave you, you will get your first ride free!  How cool is that?

The Bookshelf, 2 Selections

 Do you love to curl up with a good book?  Been meaning to read that best seller?  Here are two book selections that you may wish to read!  If you have a book that you absolutely loved and want to share your thoughts about it with us, please send in your write up to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

Happy reading!

Book #1, The Escape

DB80178

Written by David Baldacci

Read by Orlagh Cassidy and Ron McLarty

Reading time 14 hours 53 minutes
Genre:  Suspense Fiction

U.S. Army special agent John Puller is the man they call to investigate the toughest crimes facing the nation.  But, he is unprepared to hunt the most formidable and brilliant prey he has ever tracked, his own brother.  In prison for treason and national security crimes, Robert has now inexplicably escaped.  Unrated.  Commercial audio book 2014.

 <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB80178> Download The escape

Book #2, An Irish Country Doctor

DB67767

Written by Patrick Taylor

Read by David Cutler

Reading Time 10 hours 38 minutes

Genre: Human Relations

Newly graduated doctor, Barry Laverty, accepts his first job as assistant to Dr. O Reilly in the Northern Ireland town of Ballbucklebo.  Barry is puzzled by the village eccentrics and Dr. O Reillys bedside manner and falls in love with engineering student Patricia Spence.  Includes recipes, 2004.

 <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/book/srch/DB67767> Download An Irish country doctor

IRS Services for People with Disabilities

Submitted by Barbara MacPherson

Hundreds of accessible federal tax forms and publications are available for
download from the IRS Accessibility
< <http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility> http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility>  web page. Visit IRS.gov and
select the Forms & Pubs tab to access the Accessible Forms and Pubs link.
You can choose from large print, text, accessible PDFs, eBraille, or HTML
formats that are compatible when used with screen readers and refreshable
Braille displays. The IRS also provides American Sign Language videos with
the latest tax information
< <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el-xueE-ZDY&list=PL634968897EAEA4FD&index=3> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el-xueE-ZDY&list=PL634968897EAEA4FD&index=3>
.

IRS Tax Return Preparation Help is Available.

People who are unable to complete their tax returns because of a physical
disability, or are age 60 or older may get assistance through the IRS
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly
(TCE) programs. You can find a nearby VITA or TCE location by calling,

1 800 906 9887. Publication 907
< <http://www.irs.gov/publications/p907/index.html> http://www.irs.gov/publications/p907/index.html> , Tax Highlights for
Persons with Disabilities, explains the tax implications of certain
disability benefits and other issues, and is available at
< <http://www.irs.gov/> http://www.irs.gov/>  <http://www.irs.gov/> www.IRS.gov < <http://www.irs.gov/> http://www.irs.gov/> .

Healthy Choice, Healthy Living, Losing Weight

By Lawrence MacLellan

Hello everyone. I continue to be pleased to contribute to this News Letter and I hope that my articles will be of benefit to some of you. Because this is shortly after the start of a new year and a lot of people make new years resolutions, I thought I would write about losing weight. Losing weight is probably the most common resolution that people make and I hope this article will help you out with your plan.

I am sure that most of you have experienced people setting limitations on you, our family, friends, teachers, and our work place and on and on it goes. Although that is not the most pleasant thing, what I think is even more damaging is when we set limitations on ourselves.

When we believe the limitations that people put on us and especially the ones that we set on ourselves, we set up a belief system that becomes true for us. Like they say, �as man think it, so does he become�. One of the most common mistakes that people make is to set their expectations too high, and when the thing that you want does not happen then negative beliefs creep in like, I cannot do this, it is too hard, my whole family is overweight, it runs in the family, I must have a hormonal problem, I do not have any willpower and on and on and on it goes.

What this does, it sets up a belief system that tells you that it cannot be done and when you believe it then it becomes true for you, and so why try to lose weight, it cannot be done.

Our belief is so powerful and we have to look at what do we believe about losing weight.

I think to be successful in anything that we do, we have to work starting out with something that we can believe. For example, let us say you would like to lose 40 pounds. Well do you believe that you can do it? What negative beliefs are creeping in? Is it wishful thinking? Would you be surprised if you were successful?

It is important to work with something that you really can believe. So start with 1 pound, you can have no trouble believing that you can lose 1 pound. When you lose that 1 pound then believe that you can lose 1 pound again. One pound is not hard to believe. Keep working on 1 pound at a time and before you know it, you have lost the weight that you had set out to lose.

If you take a look at anything that you were not successful with, did you have high expectations? Were you wishing and hoping and not really believing that it would happen? Work with a belief that is comfortable and let it grow. Have patience and let time work for you.

Here are a few tips that may help you with losing weight.

1. Cut back on what you would hate to give up, cut back at least 50 percent.
2. Eat until you are satisfied, not until you are full. If you are full then you have eaten too much.
3. Do not snack in the evening, stop eating after your last meal and if you have to have something in the evening then only have veggies.
4. Are you hungry or are you craving? If your stomach is not growling then you are most likely craving. When you are hungry, your stomach growls. Most of the time when we are craving, we are craving carbs, simple sugars.
5. Drink lots of water, a lot of times when we think that we need something to eat, it is really that we need water. A good rule is to drink half your body weight in ounces each day.
6. Eat food that is real, that comes from nature. Foods that are alive, and foods that are real. Nuts, seeds, berries, fruits and veggies.
7. Remember, most of us eat too much, we eat more then our body needs. Take a look at your meal and know that there is enough nutrition, enough vitamins and calories to supply us for the day, in fact more then we need.
 8. Keep it simple, it does not have to be complicated. Give it time and work with your belief system. Make it easy and give yourself a pat on the back for every pound that you lose.

Until next time, enjoy those veggies!

East Valley Chapter News

By Megan Homrighausen

In our last meeting we had a great philosophy session on what it means to be independent. I got a great response from chapter members after all was said and done. Hopefully, we can continue to do these sessions and get more discussion out of it. We are all teaching and learning with each other.

Our Braille club is taking off like a rocket. We have new people joining us every time we have a meeting. We will be talking about the new UEB code. If you are interested in being exposed to the new code, please contact me at the info below.

Our chapter has also been very active in advocacy. We are writing letters to representatives regarding house bills, advocating for and against them. We have done tremendous work this year and we have only just begun.

Please join us at Fiesta Mall on the 3rd Saturday of each month, at 1:00 to 3:30 PM at 1445 West Southern Avenue, 1st floor, to the right of Best Buy. After our meeting we gather for an informal dinner at Old Chicago, at 1656 South Alma School Road.  Please contact  me if you have any questions at, 480 510 6196, or megan.homrighausen at yahoo.com <mailto:megan.homrighausen at yahoo.com>

Join Us in the West Valley

By Marcus Schmidt

We meet every odd numbered month on the first Tuesday, from 5:00 to 7:00 PM, at the Olive Garden, at 2710 West North Lane (near I 17 and Peoria).

Thus, our next meeting is March 3rd, at which we hope to conduct elections.

If you need more information, or wish to confirm your participation, please call or email me at,

602 758 0057.

 <mailto:nfbazwest at gmail.com> nfbazwest at gmail.com

Phoenix Chapter News

By Sharonda Greenlaw

Phoenix Chapter Annual Picnic

Date: April 4, 2015

Place: Encanto Park

2605 North 15th Avenue

Phoenix, AZ

Come on out! Bring a dish to share with everyone! Lets have some fun!

Whatever you plan to bring, please let our Social Chair, Steve Sesma, know. His number is, 623 204 6797.

Wanna know more about the iPhone?

If you live in the East or West Valley, or right in Phoenix, come join us as we begin our iPhone and Tech Club. It will take place right after our meeting this Saturday, March 7, from  noon until 2:00 PM.  Our chapter meets on the 1st Saturday of each month at, SAAVI, 4222 East Thomas Road, Suite, 130, from 9:30 AM to noon.  If you have any questions, please call me at, 602 281 5955.  Come join us!

Happenings in Tucson

By Amy Porterfield

Just a little blurb from Tucson to let you all know that we are really racing ahead this spring at the Rillito Race Track.  So far we have raised almost $2,000.  We are getting tremendous turn out from so many members of our chapter, and we are really profiting in so much more than money.  AT our next meeting taking place on Saturday, March 7th, we will all have the opportunity to learn how to save a life through CPR technique.  AS most of us know, we have living proof in our chapter that CPR saves lives, and we all want to be sure that we are ready should any of us be in the situation where we have to pay that gift forward.  Here are some of the exciting and fun activities that you can participate in at the Tucson regular chapter meetings.

*	mentoring in various kinds of technology or Braille,
*	Meet members of our Local and State government,
*	Engaging blindness philosophy discussion over our favorite kernel book stories,
*	Introduction to a new alternative tool or tech product,
*	Connection with what our National center is up too and how we can do our part,
*	Legislative and advocacy updates and training,
*	Delicious snacks,
*	Competitive Dutch auctions,
*	Fabulous fellowship,
*	Much, Much more!

Please come on down and see us!

Northern Arizona is on the Move

By Eve Sanchez

We are having a special meeting in Page, on March 14th. It will be at the Page Public Library, 479 South Lake Powell Road, from 3:00 to 5:00 PM. We are going to have a lot of member participation and will be bringing in new members. This is the meeting to attend if you have never attended in the past, so come and bring friends. We will also be announcing some coming activities that you do not want to miss out on.

If you have any questions or concerns call me at, 208 339 2430, or write me at,  <mailto:thirdeyeonlyinaz at gmail.com> thirdeyeonlyinaz at gmail.com.

Flick, Swipe, and Tap, Review of Be My Eyes App

By Bill Holton

Submitted by Barbara MacPherson

Many iPhone users with visual impairments use a video FaceTime or Skype call with a friend for a brief session of sighted help to find a hotel room door, for instance, or to help set the controls on a washer or dryer. But what if your friends or family members are not available when you need assistance? Or maybe you call the same person again and again, and you worry you might be overstaying your welcome?

Mobile identification and text recognition apps such as TapTapSee, Talking Goggles, and the KNFB Reader can take up a lot of the slack, but there are times when you really do need a working pair of eyeballs. Now, thanks to a new iOS app called  <https://itunes.apple.com/app/be-my-eyes-helping-blind-see/id905177575?mt=8> Be My Eyes, sighted help is just a tap away.

How Be My Eyes Works:

Be My Eyes pairs sighted volunteers with visually impaired individuals who would appreciate a bit of remote assistance. The app is free both to download and to use.

For visually impaired users, the app could not be simpler to use. Most of the screen is taken up by a single control to connect you to the first available helper. Double tap this button and your device will announce, Creating connection request. A few seconds later a sort of electronic ring tone begins to play, and soon you are connected to a sighted volunteer through a two way audio and one way video connection using the  <https://tokbox.com/> opentok/tokbox video platform.

The volunteer can view your environment through the higher resolution rear facing camera. With a connection established, you can converse with the volunteer, introduce yourself (if you like), and ask for help with whatever identification task is at hand. You can disconnect at any time.

When you first open the app you are asked if you need assistance or wish to provide it. In either case you are required to register. You can do this using your Facebook credentials, or you can create a Be My Eyes account with your name, e-mail address and the password of your choice. More about this later.

If you register as a helper, you merely need to leave the app running in the background. When its your turn to offer assistance, the app will alert you. If you do not respond within 10 seconds or so, the app servers will move onto the next person in the queue and alert them. Quote, At first we tried pinging ten people at once, so people requesting assistance would not have to wait so long for a response, but we started getting emails from volunteers who were frustrated because they wanted to help, but were not the first to respond, end quote, says Hans Jørgen Wiberg, the service's founder.

Turning an idea into a Service:

Like many of us, after a few remote FaceTime sessions, Wiberg had the idea that we could more easily obtain sighted help if there were only some way to tap into a wider network than just our friends and family. Unlike most of us, however, Wiberg put action to thought, and he is not even a programmer. Wiberg, who lives in Copenhagen, Denmark, is a part time upholsterer and Regional Chairman of the  <https://blind.dk/> Danish Association of the Blind.

Wiberg took his idea to a local startup meeting, where people come together to exchange and refine ideas for new businesses and services. There he teamed up with seven others, none of whom were programmers. They formalized their idea and began searching for grant money.

With just a few thousand donated Danish Krone, the group hired outside developers to create an iOS app. They released it in the Danish App Store in November of 2014, and beta tested it with just a handful of users. After the user base reached 150 blind users and 400 helpers, the group was awarded a substantial grant from Velux, a Danish window and skylight company. Development continued until January 15, when the Be My Eyes app and service were released worldwide.

Quote, The response was more than we dreamed, quote, says Wiberg. Quote, In just a few days we had over 60,000 users, most of them potential helpers, quote, he says. Quote, The signups came so fast, by the end of the second day we had to suspend the service while we moved to the largest server our provider can host. Quote.

The main app screen displays a running count of the number of sighted and blind users who are registered. It also displays the number of individuals who have been helped, over 10,000 in the first six days. A future app update will also include the numbers of volunteers who are currently available. Quote, This will help users have some idea of how long it will take to either offer or receive help, quote, says Wiberg.

Putting Be My Eyes Through Its Paces:

I first tried Be My Eyes just a few days after it was released. The first two attempts were unsuccessful: after 20 minutes I had not yet been connected to a volunteer. I was using the app late on a Sunday evening, around the time when the servers were being swamped with setup requests, so those circumstances may have played a part in the delays.

The next day I tried the app several times, and each time I was connected within 2 minutes. According to Wiberg, this is the norm. quote, There are going to be people who for some reason cannot answer an alert in time, and we have to connect to several different helpers, one at a time, before a request is answered. Other times there may be server problems caused by our rapid growth. My advice to users seeking help is that if there is no response within 3 or 4 minutes, disconnect and immediately try again. Quote.

My first Monday call was answered by a woman in Britain. My question was simple: quote, Is this package of teabags caffeinated or decaf? Quote. Quote, Caffeinated, quote, came the reply, and after a quick thank you, I disconnected. Total time: less than 2 minutes from start to finish.

My second request was answered by a man in California. He helped me access my thermostat and find the LCD off setting.

My third session was answered by a man in Germany. I had inadvertently left the plastic cover to a vegetable seed starter on the patio table, and sometime during the night it had blown away. Together the volunteer and I search the backyard for it. We did not find it, but the help was still useful as it saved me the considerable time I might have spent walking around the yard, hoping to encounter it.

One task I did not try, and hope I do not have cause to for some time to come, is getting help with the computer error message that has in the past locked up my screen reader or prevented it from booting. My computer seems to know when all of my friends and family are unavailable. It must, why else would it always choose those times to crash?

On initial setup, the Be My Eyes app uses your iOS device's default language setting to direct your calls. English speaking helpers are always connected with English speaking help requesters, French with French, and so forth. But the apps Setting menu offers you the ability to add additional languages, which is how I was able to connect with an English speaking helper in Germany.

Privacy:

According to Wiberg, your personal information is not shared with the helper. You may then wonder why you need to enter your name and email address to create a Be My Eyes account. When I posed this question, Wiberg replied, quote, Both the helper and user can report a problem member, and we can then block that [account] and prevent [the user] from returning. Quote. Unfortunately, the version I tested, 1.2 (45), did not require any e-mail verification, which means someone could make up a series of false accounts and cause mischief. Perhaps verification will be a part of an update in a future version.

Common sense would dictate that Be My Eyes users avoid asking questions about bank or credit card statements, medical reports, or any other information you want to remain private. Wiberg offers a useful rule of thumb: quote, If you were walking down a street and needed to know what you are considering asking [a Be My Eyes helper], would you feel uncomfortable asking a stranger? Quote. If so, find some other way to obtain the information. Some may wish to consider the opposite scenario: Perhaps there is something you wish to keep private from your friends and family?

Its probably best to avoid asking a Be My Eyes helper to assist in orientation at a busy intersection or other potentially dangerous scenario. Currently, the app contains no rating system for users to weed out what I can only believe would be a very few bad apples.

What is ahead for the Be My Eyes App?

Wiberg is determined to keep the service free. He states that currently they have enough money to pay for development and server resources through next September. Consequently, I would not be surprised to see a Donate button pop up in a future release of the app, on the company's website, or both.

The app is currently available only for iOS devices. There are no immediate plans to create an Android version.

Ironically, the biggest hurdle Be My Eyes currently faces is finding enough blind users. Quote, The response to the opportunity to become volunteers has been overwhelming, quote, says Wiberg. quote, If they do not get the chance to become fully involved, they may grow frustrated and uninstall the app. Quote.

Until I uninstalled it, I had a dinosaur app on my iPhone to entertain my granddaughter. Every so often, even when the app was not running, I received an alert asking if I wanted to play. I can see many potential helpers who might reset their phone or change devices, and forget to restart the app. Perhaps a future update might include a similar gentle reminder to those with the app installed but left closed for several weeks?

I also hope Wiberg and his colleagues publish a Be My Eyes API that would enable other apps to seamlessly link to the app. BlindSquare, which we reviewed in the  <http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw150704> July 2014 AccessWorld , offers the ability to reach out to someone in your contact list for a bit of e-mail or text message help. Imagine how much more powerful BlindSquare, or the Seeing Eye App for iPhone, would be if users could request sighted help directly from within their accessible navigation app?

As it is now, Be My Eyes is an extremely powerful platform whose time has come. I will still keep both TapTapSee and KNFB Reader on my iPhone home screen, but Be My Eyes will definitely be my fallback, and in many instances, my go to resource for those times when greater independence can best be achieved by knowing when and how to ask for help.

Sharing a Poem

By Eve Sanchez

This is March, and March is a time people
think of the Irish. Ireland is famous for their potatoes, so I thought this
fitting.
Pablo Neruda wrote, Ode to Potatoes, and this is a follow up of what I thought
was lacking though he had won a Nobel Prize in Literature for his poetry.
There's no accounting for taste and to prove it, I use paprika rather than
garlic on my potatoes.

After the Process
Pablo was too long in the kitchen.
The rhythmic beat of knives chopping
Was heard among clinking of bottles and pans.
The sound of blowing wind signaled the start of the stove.
Soon this was followed by a quick crackling and spluttering
As the potatoes hit the hot oil.
The air filled with a moist aroma of Earthy carbs.
Finally, presented with a large serving of the creamy rounds
I slowly devoured the sup.
Biting into a texturally firm slice of cold butter,
Almost too hot to taste, I was not deterred.
Nutty and fruity simultaneously.
Black specks and unseen crystalline
Provided a pleasant sting to the tongue,
While a red powder added a sweet smokiness.
Bite after bite I continued until
Reaching the last,
A crispy crunch of brown that spent too long in the heat.
This intense morsel held all the flavor of the bowl
In one tiny bite.
Wanting more though sated,
I marveled at the thought.
"How could a lowly spud,
Dug from the deep dirt,
Provide so much to a single palate?

The Recipe Box, Crockpot Enchiladas

By Debi Chatfield

Ingredients:

1 pound, hamburger

1 onion, chopped

1 can, chilies (4 ½ ounces)

1 can, mild enchiladas sauce

1 can (10 ½ ounces) Golden Mushroom soup

1 can, (10 ½ ounces) Cheddar Cheese soup

1 can, Cream of Mushroom soup

1 can, Cream of Celery soup

1 package, Dorito chips

Directions:

Brown hamburger and onion, and pour off grease.  Put all ingredients in Crockpot, except Dorito chips.  Mix and cook low, for 4 to 6 hours.  15 minutes, before you are ready to eat, add Doritoes and stir

Think Tank

By Debi Chatfield

Thank you to everyone who submitted answers to Februarys brainteasers. Many of you were very close, but close only counts in horseshoes!  Sorry, but no one got any answers correct this month.  Please try again!

In case you missed them, here are the February brain teasers and their answers:

1.  What gets broken without being held?

Answer:  A promise.

2.  What invention looks right through a wall?

Answer:  A window.

Now, here are the super duper brain teasers for March. Are you smarter than a 5th grader?  Hmmm?

1.  What 9 letter English word is still a word each time you take away a letter?

2.  What question can you never answer with a, yes?

Please submit the answers to these brain teasers to:

 <mailto:news at az.nfb.org> news at az.nfb.org

We will let you know if you are correct, and if so, we will publish your name in the April newsletter. Have fun trying to solve these puzzles!

A Round of Applause

Thanks go out to you, our extended family here in the National Federation of the Blind! You participate and spend time attending monthly meetings, raise necessary funds to support our valuable programs, reach out to others needing the information and resources we offer, and get to know and give support to one another, so that we may continue to learn and grow. Our goal is to be independent, productive members of society, and through your efforts and working together, we are truly changing what it means to be blind! So, a big thank you to you all, and keep up the good work!

Debbies List

No, this is not Craigs List, but it is the next best thing!  If you have something to sell, or announce, send us your ad, and we will post it, as long as there is space available in the newsletter.  Send your ads to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

**  a Useful, Stylish New Idea!
When you go out for a walk, or running to class, are you looking for a way to easily carry your water bottle and cellphone, in a way that would be both stylish and practical?  Are you looking for something that can hold many items, yet is not heavy on its own?  Well look no further than the Invisibag! This is a stretchable belt like strap that clips easily around your waist.  It contains two zipperred pockets, one for a conventional water bottle, and one that is the perfect size for your smartphone.  With the water bottle pocket you will be able to carry around a water bottle, without the need to carry a purse or backpack, as it simply hangs from your belt.  The cellphone pocket allows you to carry your cellphone in a safe, secure environment. You can feel your cellphone vibrating, yet it is difficult to steal as one must open the zipperred pocket to get the cellphone out.  And when you're done using it for the day, just take all your items out and let it sit around your waist. it is so light you will not even notice.
As these are imported products, you will not find them anywhere on the U.S. market.  I personally handle all the importing and costs myself.  I'm asking only $20 per each one.
Please send me an email at,

 <mailto:techluver at techluver.co.za> techluver at techluver.co.za if anyone is interested.

Harrison Tu

**  Victor Stream for Sale!

I have a first generation Victor reader stream in excellent condition that I want to sell for $100 plus the cost of shipping.  It will come in the original box, and I'm including a brand new battery that I just bought for it, a case that I am told is made out of nylon that has a belt clip on the back, and a 2 gig SD card that came with the machine when I received it. I am only selling it because I just recently bought a second generation stream, so if someone reads a lot of books and wants a very portable player that will easily fit in a purse or bag, or even in a pocket, but you don't want to pay over $300 for a brand new machine then this may be just what you are looking for. If you are interested, or have any questions please contact me at,

 <mailto:homerun at gt.rr.com> homerun at gt.rr.com.

Troy Burnham

**  All That Vending Has a New Website!

Everyone,

One of the highlights of my job is getting to share positive information, and todays opportunity to share is from Norris Williams, who sent me a link to his companys new website that you should check out.

His new site can be found at  <http://www.allthatvending.com/> www.allthatvending.com. All That Vendings site presents a highly professional image of his company, and also talks about his work in the Business Enterprise Program. Congratulations to Norris and his staff for not only moving to a new level of technology with this website, but for his continued efforts to grow his company’s presence in the Tucson market. Norris has accomplished some impressive things in southern Arizona, including embracing the healthy vending requirements of Pima County, working with Wells Fargo to offer vending services in a corporate training center, outfitting his staff with very professional uniforms, and now this new tool that will allow him to communicate his companys story to the public.

Many of the BEP food service locations feature a web presence of some kind as part of their businesses, but it is unique to feature this level of detail from a vending company in the private sector.

Kudos again to Norris and his team for raising the bar in the program, and keep up the great work in Tucson.

Jason Sauer

**  Are you having trouble with your computer?  Did you just purchase that must
have app, but have a question?  Perhaps, you have some tips to share?  If
so, please join the BlindTech e-mail list.
To join, send a message with subscribe in the subject line to:
blindtech-request at freelists.org <mailto:blindtech-request at freelists.org>
alternatively, you may visit:
http://www.freelists.org/list/blindtech

**  Join a Free Voice Chat Site Community on the Web!

Would you like to meet other blind or visually impaired individuals from across the country and around the world? Do you like challenging interactive games, old time radio, learning about adapted cooking techniques, a monthly book club, product presentations, chess instruction, computer tech help, Bible Study, a blindness support group, a weekly talent show, iPhone discussions, and much more?     Join our free chat community at:

 www.Out-Of-Sight.net <http://www.out-of-sight.net/> .

Stay Connected

Sending this newsletter to friends?  Tell them they can receive this monthly newsletter by subscribing to:

Nfbaz-news-subscribe at az.nfb.org <mailto:Nfbaz-news-subscribe at az.nfb.org>

If you have any changes in your contact info for the state roster, chapters, or divisions, please write to:

news at az.nfb.org <mailto:news at az.nfb.org>

and we will send your info to the appropriate people and make the necessary corrections.

Contact our President, Bob Kresmer at:

888 899 6322, or write to:

 <mailto:krezguy at cox.net> krezguy at cox.net

If you would like to submit an announcement or article for publication in this monthly newsletter, please send your submission to:

 <mailto:news at az.nfb.org> news at az.nfb.org

Grins and Groans - The Usual Endings

Submitted by Bob Kresmer

My wife said she wanted to see 50 shades of grey.

So, I took a picture of her hair.

Did you hear about the joke about the roof?  Ah, nevermind, it is over your head.

Debi Chatfield

Editor