[NFB-Hams] planning for ham radio classes

D. Curtis Willoughby ka0vba at dimcom.net
Fri Jul 23 03:50:15 UTC 2021

It looks like all is in order now, for us to plan our ham
classes.

I propose we begin by holding something of a planning session.
Anyone who wants to attend the classes is welcome to attend,
as well as anyone who is willing to help.

We must first determine when to hold this session, as well as
the classes.  I am available on week ends, as well as Tuesday
evenings, and perhaps at other times.

I am thinking we should meet for about an hour at a time,
when most folks are available.  The time I would suggest is
between 7:00 and 8:00 P.M. mountain time, which translates to
9:00 to 10:00 P.M. Eastern and 6:00 to 7:00 P.M. pacific.  If this
is not satisfactory, please suggest something else.

Someone suggested we begin with some information about radio,
and ham radio specifically, so folks can make a final decision
about whether ham radio is what they want to invest their time
and money into, and then begin the study for the technician
class license, the first license.

I am including some of the relevant messages that have
gotten us thus far.

If Tuesday is ok, we might begin on July 27th, but I suspect
August 3rd is more likely.  Tell us when you want to start.

When I receive enough replies, I will issue a Zoom invite.

73
D. Curtis Willoughby--ka0vba

Thank you to Corbb, and the rest of the board:

<nfb-hams at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Hello, NFB hams:
>
> It looks like several folks are interested in ham classes.
> I started a technician class last summer, and we got a new tech
> from it. We followed that up with a general class and,
> while the student has not yet passed his general test, we
> have gone through all the questions and he is continuing to study.
>
> Thanks to AD5AQ for his help and his modified question pools.
>
> I would be willing to do this again, but I would like to
> have some help.
>
> I have a professional Zoom license, that I am willing to use
> for the purpose, provided the class does not conflict with
> the other meetings I carry. One thing I lack is a host
> or two.
>
> Jim Shaffer and perhaps others, you could help out when I
> get stumped on a technical question.
>
> The others of you could help out, too by taking turns with
> handling some of the questions.

You could also volunteer to be host(s).  We can do it without
a separate host, but it leaves us vulnerable to being jammed.