[Nfb-hi] Portman Amendment Voted Down

STAN YOUNG skycomhawaii at msn.com
Tue Mar 13 22:32:18 UTC 2012

Portman Amendment Voted Down In The Senate!

Thanks Everyone For Your Calls and Support.

Now, on to the House.

Portman amendment #1742 to S. 1813 to allow states to commercialize federal highway rest areas was just voted down on the floor of the Senate by an overwhelming vote of 12 yeas to 86 nays.

Thanks to each of you for ensuring that the voices of blind entrepreneurs were heard loud and clear on this important issue!

We sincerely appreciate your efforts to contact your Senators and educate them about the operation of the Randolph-Sheppard act on highway rest areas and the opportunities it creates for the blind.

We will now turn our attention to the House of Representatives to ensure that no similar provision is added there.

Again, thank you so much for all of your work!

Sincerely,

Sean and Catriona

Sean Whalen
Policy Associate