[Nfb-history] Wilson's Biography Of The Blind

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Sat May 30 22:40:51 UTC 2009

Hello List:

     I haven't seen much on this list for a while. I was perusing the RFB&D catalog and experimenting with downloading DAISY books. I tried the term "blind" in the title field of the catalog and found Wilson's Biography Of The Blind as edited by Stuckey (SP?). The book makes interesting reading although sometimes a bit tedious. This book is also available in braille and as a talking book from NLS. I think one of the most interesting aspects of this book is that Wilson who was blind from the age of four managed to get it put together with the first edition being published in 1821. The modern version is drawn from all four editions of the work and there are additional comments interspersed.

     As an aside, the RFB&D system for downloading DAISY books works and its great to be able to have a book without having to order it. More later.

Regards,

Robert