[Nfb-history] Recordings at Convention

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jul 15 15:51:21 UTC 2011

Peter,

You have a lot of experience thatI don't have, but I have had some experience in this area recording our local conventions as well.  Everything you say in
your note sounds reasonable, but I am not certain that it is possible to develop a solution that will work well with a variety of  sound systems.  When you are
investigating, I would suggest looking at an additional option.  That would be to simply have two microphones available for connection to the recording
source.  One could be placed on the table or podium and the other would be used to pick up audience participation.  The second microphone would need
to be directional to some degree.  Particularly in a medium to small sized room without a sound system, this works pretty well.  Attaching a microphone
physically to the sound system microphone also works pretty well, taking care to attach it somewhat behind the main microphone to avoid wind and
popping.  The standards for recording are not as high as they once were because of the thirst for information.  We want good recordings, but I am not
convinced that missing a recording that could have been good but not excellent makes sense.  We need to figure out how to have a flexible approach to
recording that gets us useful information, not to try to compete with professional companies that charge high prices for their recordings.  I completely agree
that a recording made from the audience is usually not going to be sufficient, but I think there are compromises that can be made that can provide an
above-average recording without necessarily being perfect.  It is in my opinion a mistake, for example, to require a sound system to get a recording in a room
where a sound system is not required to carry on a meeting.  That gets to be the tail wagging the dog.

Sometimes we need to look at procedures, too.  It is common practice in corporate meetings now to have people participating remotely, and it is considered
to be protocol for the person at the microphone to repeat questions, for example.  I have been in meetings where participants were required to wait until a
wireless microphone was passed to them, but frankly, this can slow down participation and I'm not sure that it is the best solution.  It also seems like overkill
in a smaller room.  There is getting to be some interesting directional microphone technology out there and I have not had a chance to play with that but that
also offers some options.  In one case, and I really hate to admit this to you because you are going to think it crazy, I was forced to make a recording of a
meeting by aiming a microphone toward one of the loud speakers.  You and I probably both did this when we were kids and the results were dismal.
However, using a good microphone aimed at a high quality speaker and adding a touch of equalization resulted in a recording that you truly would not have
known was not made directly.  I do not propose this as a general solution as it is simply way to variable, but I think we need to think out of the box
sometimes.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson