[Nfb-history] favorite convention banquet speeches

Ryan O ryano218 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 01:01:18 UTC 2011

Chris, Mike is towing the party line, which isn't really wrong I guess. Some
have said that once you've heard a banquet speech, you've heard them all.
There's a kernel of truth in this idea. Even Jernigan admitted that the
banquet speeches were more or less similar in their content and purpose.
However, you can learn a lot about where we were historically by listening
to each speech. A good example of this is, "A Corner of Time," from 1981,
which high-lights our struggles with various individuals and organizations
who opposed us.

Another departure from the standard formula came in a trilogy of speeches
from the mid-1970's in which Jernigan chose a specific focus for his
premise. Those are some of my favorites.

RyanO