[Nfb-history] Digital Copies of NFB logos

Kresmer, Anna AKresmer at nfb.org
Tue Sep 16 18:18:38 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Clara Van Gerven, on the Access Technology team, has done some work recently on the older NFB logos. She has even made a small 3D-print of the original Security, Equality, & Opportunity logo. I suspect that if you contact her, she might be able to share the file she used to do the printing. She may also have files for other NFB logos. She is currently on vacation until the 24th, but you can check with her when she returns.

I have actually done some research on the history of the NFB logo recently as part of a timeline project. As it sounds like this might be useful to you, here are my findings. The NFB has used at least four different logos over the last 74 years. Here are the descriptions and time frames for the first two logos:

1.       Security, Opportunity, and Equality, 1949-2002
Description: A triangle (point-up) containing the initials “NFB”, enclosed within a slightly larger circle. Within the outline of the circle, in the portions of the circle which extend beyond the triangle, are the words “Security”, “Equality”, and “Opportunity” in clock-wise order.
Usage: The earliest example I have found of this logo dates from 1949, but I am not entirely sure when we adopted it. I have yet to find correspondence discussing the adoption of this logo and our earliest publications don’t feature it, probably because they had a very low-tech setup in the 1940s and weren’t able to print it.

2.       NFB “Block”, 1996-2002

Description: A rectangle is divided into two squares, one black, one either white outlined in black or gray. The black half of the rectangle contains the letters “NFB” with the “B” straddling the line between the two halves of the rectangle. The open spaces within the “B” are red and circular, reminiscent of two Braille dots. The other half of the rectangle contains the words “National Federation of the Blind”.

Usage: This logo was not universally adopted and there was no announcement in NFB publications or at the 1996 convention of the change. This logo was used in national convention agendas during this time, and some other stand-alone NFB publications. However, it does not appear that it was used in formal NFB publications like the Braille Monitor, Future Reflections, or the Kernel Books.

And as we know, the Whozit logo was used from 2002-2014. It was introduced with much fanfare at the 2002 national convention. The Federation worked hard to ensure its adoption across the organization. There is even an article in the Monitor which features a discussion between Whozit and Mrs. Jernigan, which you can read at: https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm02/bm0210/bm021007.htm.

The current logo, called Our Movement, is described and discussed in-depth on the NFB website at  https://nfb.org/reflecting-nfb-brand.

Have a great afternoon!
Anna

Anna K. Kresmer, MSLIS
Archivist
Jacobus tenBroek Library
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute
(410) 659-9314, ext. 2310
akresmer at nfb.org