[Nfb-history] A piece of hisotyr is going away

Peggy Chong peggychong at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 21:52:54 UTC 2016

The Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School was closed a few years ago.  Now it
looks like the entire school will be going away as well.  For more than 150
years, Vinton  Iowa was the home of the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving
School, IBSSS.  The community embraced the school, its students and
supported the many programs and projects by the students and staff.  Some of
the teachers became active in the community, serving on the city council.  I
just saw the latest in a series of articles about the school property and
what will become if it.

I thought I would share this loss of blind history with you all.

Peggy Chong

IBSSS update: City seeks more information; State considering other uses

Posted by Dean Close <http://vintontoday.com/author/vinton-today/>  | Oct
17, 2016 | News <http://vintontoday.com/category/news/>  | 0
<http://vintontoday.com/news/ibsss-update-city-seeks-more-information-state-
considering-other-uses/#comments> |

The Vinton City Council discussed the future of the Iowa Braille School
campus during its meeting last Thursday, where city officials learned that
it is possible that the State of Iowa may find its own use for the property.

Today, representatives of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy are visiting
Vinton to consider the IBSSS campus as a possible new home.

Vinton City Manager Chris Ward told the council about this visit, and
related a conversation he had had with State Rep. Dawn Pettengill about the
campus.

"Vinton Police Chief Ted Paxton and Captain Eric Dickinson brought up the
Law Enforcement Academy to Senator Kapucian and me," Pettengill said. "We
took it to our (House and Senate) Appropriation Committee Chairs as a good
idea. When the Director of the DOM (Department of Management) told me that,
I was thrilled. Hopefully the city will attend the meeting and give them the
royal treatment like they did when AmeriCorps was interested. They would be
a great fit for our community."

The ILEA facility at Camp Dodge near Des Moines has had several problems,
including black mold
<http://whotv.com/2016/04/28/law-enforcement-leader-wants-moldy-building-tor
n-down/> . Officials have already begun discussions on relocation or
building a new facility.

State officials indicated they are visiting three possible locations for
possible conversion into the future home of the ILEA.

Discussions continue

Meanwhile, city officials are also pondering what path to take if the offer
to buy the campus becomes a reality.

Pettengill also shared with Ward a conversation she had had on Thursday with
Gov. Terry Branstad. "The Governor gave his commitment that we would follow
Iowa Code 270.10. He also gave his commitment that we, his office and the
state would work together in the best interest of Vinton as partners,"
Pettengill said.

Ward said Pettengill told him the Governor assured her the state would do
all it can to make sure that if Vinton does end up with the IBSSS property,
it would not become a burden to the city.

There has also been some conversation about a possible study by Iowa State
University on issues related to the city taking possession of the campus.

Also, a committee of local residents will soon be meeting to share ideas and
help evaluate the property.