[Nfb-history] "The Braille Monitor": How About A Comprehensive Look At Helen Keller Re The Organized Blind Movement?

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 19:08:50 UTC 2017

On 6/14/17, Wunder, Gary <gwunder at nfb.org> wrote:
>  ...  If we talk about Helen in the Braille Monitor, I think it should be to highlight
> things that people don't much know about her.
>  ...  One of the more controversial aspects of Helen's life involves her concern
> with other people she considered downtrodden and oppressed. She was not
> simply an activist for the deaf blind; she looked critically at our form of
> government, the distribution of wealth, and how well democracy functions in
> looking out for everyone.

Also, as someone pointed out in this lengthy discussion thread, Helen
Keller helped to co-found the American Civil Liberties Union: yes,
another point of controversy that many disagree about.  And Helen
Keller, from what I understand, was a disciple of Emanuel Swedenborg,
a controversial 17th-century Scandinavian mystic who definitely was
off the beaten track theologically compared to his contemporaries.
Again, this is a point about which all Christians who accept the
traditional Nicene Creed would have a problem.  But the point is not
whether we in the Federation would agree or disagree with where Helen
Keller stood politically, religiously, or philosophically.  The point
is, she was a complex woman whose reach went far beyond the legend of
"the miracle worker" and who worked hard to impact her world in ways
that went far beyond the boundaries of deafness, blindness, or even
deaf-blind education.  To the fullest extent she could, she lived the
life she wanted.  So I propose this is a thesis compelling enough to
warrant some serious research in the next few months in order to bring
out points that otherwise would be lost on society as a whole.

>  ...  This rather long note is simply to say that I am in favor of proceeding and am
> willing to put energy into contributing to and editing such an article.

Very well.  I will take some time to explore the literature and come
up with a few key findings in the coming weeks.  And I believe it
should be a collaborative effort, since a lot of us (Peggy, Anna, and
others) have already been going down some rabbit trails over the years
that have led to salient points for this piece. The 50-year mark
following Helen Keller's passing would coincide with when the June
2018 issue is released; so the hard deadline for getting all this
done, if we want to sync up with that date, would be late April.  Of
course, that's up to the editor.

Thank you, Gary.

-Kane