[Nfb-idaho] state president's update

Dana Ard Danalynard at q.com
Sat May 30 02:02:04 UTC 2015

Fellow Federationists, I plan to send an update every month letting you know
about federation news and events that are important to our affiliate. Please
encourage all chapter members who have computers to get on the Idaho
discussion list, so you don't miss the news.

We had our first state board meeting by phone on May 12th. We discussed the
2015 convention and voted to have the 2016 convention sometime in April
2016. We have 5 week ends to choose from, so it will depend on hotel
availability. Currently, we are planning for the convention to be in either
Lewiston or Moscow. A fundraising committee and a website committee were
appointed and both have met. Both committees will probably have updates in
the near future.

We have four college students attending the convention this year. Funding
for this was made possible through the Gibney Foundation grant which Ramona
Walhof was able to get last Fall. As those attending the state convention
know, the state affiliate will provide a maximum of $200.00 for an
individual attending the convention who truly needs the assistance. Please
contact me by phone or email to discuss your need. My phone is 208-345-3906,
and email danalynard at q.com.

We have had one meeting for the Boise BELL program. We have secured a camp
outside of Moscow for the Northern Idaho BELL and will be going to look at
the site, and hopefully join the Palouse Empire chapter meeting, early in
June.

I was contacted by the NFB of Canada to advocate for training for a
graduating senior who will be moving to Canada with her family. Canada does
not have the blindness training that is available in the United States, so
the hope is that this young woman can receive training before moving to
Canada. I also was able to refer a recently blind woman, who is also an
amputee, to one of our members for mentoring. Another senior, from north
central Idaho, is excited to hear that our convention will be in that area
next year.

You can see that my few weeks as your president have been very busy. I will
be appointing a scholarship committee and a legislative committee in the
coming months. If you are interested in either of these committees, please
contact me. Also, I am seeking a new editor for our newsletter the
Milestones. Let me know if you are interested. Let's keep working hard so
that we can continue to change what it means to be blind, so that we can
live the life we want.