[NFB-Idaho] A 2nd Opportunity to Get Active: NFB Community Service Project Choices

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:55:30 UTC 2019

Erin, I applaud your effort in this area. I think there is anoowr step that would be of value in this effort. We should log what is already happening. What is being done by individual membeds and chapters.

As an example, I serve as chair of the stewardship committee for my church, sing in the choir, and contribute to our craft fair. I also sing with the Footnotes senior choir which perfors in senior residences and nursing homes. In fact, I am fairly conspicuous as the announcer using Braille notes. Susan Ford is the back-up announcer.

We need to do more speaking engagements, Braille  fairs, and other educational presentations on blindness, but I am certain that some are being done and may not even be known to the chapters. Gathering this information would stimulate more of these activities besides letting us know what is already happening. Many members do public education on buses, on the streets, and at work. I think it would do us good to share these experiences. Which is an area where new or inactive members might have some useful contributions. A way for the public to get to know more about blindness and old timers to learn about blind people we do not know well.

If we can find time to take on new things, I am all for it, but I want to know what is already happening, as well.
Ramona