[NFB-Idaho] please read and share Washington Seminar

pres.nfbidaho at gmail.com pres.nfbidaho at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:02:57 UTC 2023

As you prepare to join our affiliate fundraising event, November 26 at 7:30
MST, 6:30 PST, I want to talk about what our affiliate does to help us and
the blind of Idaho and the world. One way we help make the world better is
our Washington Seminar. Each year our affiliate helps members, who wish to
be part of this great event, to attend. We talk to our senators and
representatives about our national bills such as getting accessible medical
equipment, accessible websites, social security reform, and tax credits for
specialized equipment, just to name current issues. Often it takes longer
than we would hope to get these initiatives passed, but we do make progress.
Consider the Marrakesh Treaty, which now gives blind people more accessible
publications including books, and even music than ever before. If the
members of the NFB had not urged the senate to support this treaty, it
wouldn't have been signed. Our own Senator Risch was instrumental in getting
this done, but it wouldn't have happened without us, our affiliate and 51
other NFB affiliates. Washington Seminar also gives new members a chance to
see the advocacy work of our organization, and see a broader view of our
organization beyond the state and chapter level. Please feel free to comment
on this post. If you would be interested in attending, contact me so we can
discuss this.