[NFB-Idaho] please share: We're raising up our future federation leaders

President of NFB Idaho pres.nfbidaho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 22:10:35 UTC 2023

Our chapters and our affiliate have many activities and events that raise up
our future leaders. I have a great example, which I hope will inspire you as
you consider our Sunday evening fundraising event at 7:00 pm MST, 6:00 PM
PST, November 26. Cindy Barajas was around 9 years old when she began
attending our Treasure Valley BELL program. When she aged out of the
program, she became a student mentor, and then a teacher's aide. She was my
teacher's aide this past Summer in BELL and Beyond, and did an excellent
job. She introduced some new students to braille, help me gather materials
for class, kept track of class time, and willingly helped as needed. In
2023, Cindy was one of our scholarship winners, and is now finishing her
first semester at Boise State University. She's not done. She is going to
attend our 2024 Washington seminar. Imagine how she will grow as she
presents our legislation to our senators and representatives, and talks to
other students and leaders from other states. Her growth is possible because
of our affiliate and chapter programs. Our affiliate has funded the BELL
programs, as well as the scholarship programs, and soon it will fund Cindy's
airfare and lodging for Washington Seminar. Think about students like Cindy
and others you know that have been influenced by our organization. We need
future leaders to carry on our work, and to quote a Doctor Suess title, "OH
the Places They'll go." I hope to see everyone Sunday evening.