[NFB-Idaho] please read this very important invitation below and plan to attend this event

Tj Squires tj at tjsquires.net
Fri Nov 24 20:12:52 UTC 2023

Hi all,

In this particular instance, I would think this falls outside of the scope of even usable. From the time the user clicks to leave our site and enters the donation flow, they are going to encounter several accessibility issues. The first of which would be the lack of labels present within all sections of the form. The three sections (donation amount, name and number,r and card details) each have their own challenges; there is a quantity thing on the first page that I don’t know what it does, as well as the other radio button and input field not having an accessible name. If we continue forward through the process, the email address has a placeholder attribute which is why screen readers are recognizing it; the first, last, and phone number fields, however, have no labelling or indication what should be entered into them. Furthermore, when on that page, if a user does not enter an email address into the email field they can not tab passed it to explore the remaining fields. Although more a problem for keyboard-only users, it is extremely common practice and even considered expected behavior that a screen reader user be able to tab through the form fields, whether they are filled out or not, and explore the whole page. While we have the luxury of the virtual cursor or browse mode dependent on the screen reader used to bypass the keyboard trap, it exists and that in itself is a huge problem. Colleen, if I had to take an educated guess, navigated this section because, the one saving grace here for this section is it is programmed to automatically fill out your information if your user agent has it stored (the iPhone usually does).

For the credit card information itself, the form fields do have properly associated form labels…that are hidden (JAWS and NVDA will not ignore the visibility hidden CSS property so they don’t read and are effectively not there. So uh, they aren’t actually labelled. Even though there is placeholder text present within these fields, in some cases (expiration date) the text is simply “MM/YY” which is not an indication of what the field is for; while we may think it is easy to deduce, others may not.

All of this to say, for a form that is designed to take people’s money, I would consider investigating alternative options to handle online payments. I don’t know if we have control over any of the templates within the platform that display the forms, but if we do, or if we can edit them we might want to take a look at doing it. This one’s not a good look for us, I don’t think, accessibility-wise.

I suspect through a happy accident of autofill and either Voiceover ignoring the fact that form elements are hidden and reading them anyway, or it handling the reading of placeholder text better, is the reason Colleen succeeded.

Tj