[NFB-Idaho] please read this very important invitation below and plan to attend this event

Treasurer NFB of Idaho treasurer at nfbidaho.org
Fri Nov 24 20:46:13 UTC 2023

Thank you TJ for this detailed review of what is happening. We are very
fortunate to have such a knowledgeable expert ready to offer this
critique!

I have a call into the helpdesk for Square, but I am not optimistic we
can fix this using Square's tools. I don't find anything helpful with a
few searches online.

Without promising that I can have it ready for Sunday, I could create a
site using the same tools that I used for the online State Convention
registration system. I know you and others were able to use that site
(mostly) without difficulty. The tools I used to build that site take a
percentage from anything paid on the site, and that amount is about the
same as what Square would take.

_don

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DON WINIECKI he, him, his [1]
Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind of Idaho
Visit our Facebook [2]
Visit our Homepage [3]
Mobile: 208-571-8096 [4]
E-mail: treasurer at nfbidaho.org
Donate to NFB-Idaho by clicking this link [5]!

-------------------------

On 2023-11-24 01:12 PM, Tj Squires via NFB-Idaho wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In this particular instance, I would think this falls outside of the
> scope of even usable. From the time the user clicks to leave our site
> and enters the donation flow, they are going to encounter several
> accessibility issues. The first of which would be the lack of labels
> present within all sections of the form. The three sections (donation
> amount, name and number,r and card details) each have their own
> challenges; there is a quantity thing on the first page that I don't
> know what it does, as well as the other radio button and input field
> not having an accessible name. If we continue forward through the
> process, the email address has a placeholder attribute which is why
> screen readers are recognizing it; the first, last, and phone number
> fields, however, have no labelling or indication what should be entered
> into them. Furthermore, when on that page, if a user does not enter an
> email address into the email field they can not tab passed it to
> explore the remaining fields. Although more a problem for keyboard-only
> users, it is extremely common practice and even considered expected
> behavior that a screen reader user be able to tab through the form
> fields, whether they are filled out or not, and explore the whole page.
> While we have the luxury of the virtual cursor or browse mode dependent
> on the screen reader used to bypass the keyboard trap, it exists and
> that in itself is a huge problem. Colleen, if I had to take an educated
> guess, navigated this section because, the one saving grace here for
> this section is it is programmed to automatically fill out your
> information if your user agent has it stored (the iPhone usually does).
>
> For the credit card information itself, the form fields do have
> properly associated form labels…that are hidden (JAWS and NVDA will not
> ignore the visibility hidden CSS property so they don't read and are
> effectively not there. So uh, they aren't actually labelled. Even
> though there is placeholder text present within these fields, in some
> cases (expiration date) the text is simply "MM/YY" which is not an
> indication of what the field is for; while we may think it is easy to
> deduce, others may not.
>
> All of this to say, for a form that is designed to take people's money,
> I would consider investigating alternative options to handle online
> payments. I don't know if we have control over any of the templates
> within the platform that display the forms, but if we do, or if we can
> edit them we might want to take a look at doing it. This one's not a
> good look for us, I don't think, accessibility-wise.
>
> I suspect through a happy accident of autofill and either Voiceover
> ignoring the fact that form elements are hidden and reading them
> anyway, or it handling the reading of placeholder text better, is the
> reason Colleen succeeded.
>
> Tj

> [...]

Links:
------