[NFB-InTheKitchen] tips for making/eating pancakes/waffles

Shelly Alongi qobells at icloud.com
Sun Mar 24 22:33:48 UTC 2024

Well, there’s a bunch of tips I can give here covering different subjects that have been addressed in the thread. For one thing, the best way to eat pancakes without using your fingers might take a little bit of work but it works. It works for a restaurant and home cooking. Take your knife and fork and cut the pancake into multiple pieces cut them small because as you may have figured out by now, larger pieces, make your fork heavy. When you sufficiently cut your pancakes, you can use a knife as someone mentioned as a buffer to help you get the pancake on the fork. That’s what I learned when I was nine and 10 years old when someone gave me  Lessons and eating. Now I don’t have any problem eating and I will do what I need to but when I want to make sure that I don’t use my fingers I go to extra links. I’ve been doing this a long time. So the other thing you might try if you can is putting your pancakes into a dish that has a side. That way you can use the side of the dish for a guide to let you know when you’re near the end of the plate and that will also help you to know where to position your knife to help put the pancake on the fork.  The smaller you cut the pieces easier it will be to get the pancake on the fork because that doesn’t make the fork top heavy. That’s causing the pancake to fall onto your plate and not end up on your fork. That sounds complicated but it’s easier once you practice a little bit.

As far as cooking pancakes goes, there are a few tricks you can use. The first thing would be to preheat your grill or skillet. Whatever you’re using. When you the skillet, make sure you have sufficient lubrication on the skillet so that the pancake doesn’t stick to the skillet. Mostly that’s what makes it difficult to flip is the pancake sticking to the skillet. The best  Kind of lubrication is in my experience just straight old vegetable oil. Butter tends to cook faster than that will burn your pancake faster so I always find it easier to just use straight oil. Then, when you have your pancake grill heated, take it and lower the heat to as low as you can get it.  Things still cook with heat it doesn’t always have to be high heat. Pour your batter on the grill which is sufficiently oiled and then let it cook for about two minutes. One way you can tell that the bottom side of the pancake is done is by taking something preferably a fork I’ll help you , establish contact with the skillet and touch it to the pancake. If you can feel resistance on the bottom, your pancake is almost done. There is another trick you can use here. You can turn off the heat and let the pancakes finish cooking on both sides at the same time the lower the heat is the  easier this is going to happen. If you can feel the skillet under a spatula, then you know you can slip the spatula in far enough to get the pancake centered on it, and then you can flip it.  If you need leverage, take an oven mitt and hold onto the handle of the skillet while youIf you need leverage, take an oven mitt and hold onto the handle of the skillet while you slip the spatula far enough into the skillet to flip the pancake. If you don’t do that sometimes the skillet can slide across the stove and that’s always fun. :-) Believe me I have practiced pretty hard to get this and I don’t do it all the time but all of your emails about pancakes are making me want to go make them for dinner or breakfast. :-)
Now, if you want to make waffles, the simplest thing to do is to purchase a waffle iron that you can plug into the wall because I haven’t seen a double sided waffle iron for the stove, though there might be one. So if there is one, then use these instructions that way. Oil, the waffle iron, and then pour the batter as much as you want onto the iron so it can make itself. Sometimes I have trouble with it spilling over but it’s easy enough to clean. Simply close the iron and let the waffle cook 2 to 3 minutes or four minutes. You can open the waffle iron and check the Consistency . From that point on, it’s pretty easy to slip the waffle off of the waffle iron using a spatula or if you wait long enough, you can just simply peel it off your iron with your hands. Those are just some tips from the queens castle and the cats. :-)

I hope that helps. It sounds complicated, but it’s not. Keep practicing :-) you’ll get it.
Shelley, Queen of Bells Out!
President, NFB Writers’ Division
Editor Slate and Style
See my self published books at Apple Books, Amazon and Barns and Noble