[Nfb-krafters-korner] Christmas/Holiday Gifts to Help WithCrafting?

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 19:28:54 UTC 2008

Hi Carol:

Sounds like you got alot of crafting gifts!

The type of circular needle that is used as a life line is probably not
going to be found in the local craft store.  I think you'd need to look in a
local knitting shop for the size 000 (known as a size triple 0) needle in a
longer lengths like a 40 or 50 inch.

If you want to mail order one, I'd suggest a place like Pattern Works,
Web's, The Mannings or KnitPicks.  The 000 needles are used in lace work and
are made by Addi.  They are very smooth and nothing gets  caught on them.
All The places I mentioned can be located on-line and found by running a
google search.  Off the top of my head, I know fore a fact that:

Knit Picks is:  WWW.knitpicks.com

And Web's web site is now www.Yarn.com

They are as needles go, pricey, but worth it if you take to using a life
line.  For a beginner, it might be cumbersome to work around because you
will have a length of the circular's cord & the needle dangling out on each
side of the row.  My concern is that you may accidentally knit up the cord
without realizing it.  The stitch markers or holders I imagine would
presenta real problem if you were trying to use either as a life line.

If you wanted a sample of the life line, and if your husband has fishing
tackle on hand, you could cut a long length, and run it through your current
row with a tapestry needle.  The cord length needs to be a lot longer than
what you are knitting so it does not accidentally get pulled out of your
knitting as you are working.  IYou might also be able to use a long length
of soft flex or Beadallen through on a tapestry needle if you have it on
hand.  I'be never tried this one though.  If using either of these, you will
need the tapestry needle if at any point you need to rip back to the line,
in order to get your stitches back on your knitting ndls.

Eileen