[Nfb-krafters-korner] rosaries

Sydney Walker Freedman freedmas at stolaf.edu
Sun Oct 26 05:05:37 UTC 2008

Well, it isn't horribly dufficult, especially if you make wire-strung
or cord rosaries.  Chain rosaries are more time-consuming (I've never
made one) because you have to connect the beads together with little
bits of chain and eye pins.  For wire-strung ones, you just string the
correct number of beads on wire and connect he two main parts of the
rosary to a centerpiece medal with crimp beads (I'm not the most
competent with crimping plires :) 0.  The two main parts are the
"cicle" and the "tail," as i sometimes call them.  The circle is made
up of five dacades of ten "ave" beads and 1 "paternoster" bead, with
spacer beads between the decades and also between the last ave and
it's folowing paternoster bead to offset the single bead.  So, you
would string the circle like this:  five-seven seed beads (or other
small beads) for spacer, ten larger ave beads with a spacer bead
between each one, five-seven spacers again, 1 larger paternoster bead,
and then for repeats of the abov, ending with five-seven spacers.
Each end is then crimped to the two loops on the top of the center
medal, and the pendant "tail" is crimped to the bottom loop.  The tail
is strung like this (top down): five-seven spacers, 1 paternoster
bead, five-seven spacers, three ave beads with one spacer between the
first and second and second and third (i.e. don't put one spacer after
the last because of what's next), five-seven spacers, one paternoster
bead, five-seven spacers, and finally, the cross or crucifix.  For
cord rosaries, you can use nots as spacers, and for chain ones, short
lengths of chain are used.  If this doesn't make sense or isn't
helpful, let me know.  Sorry for being so long and rambling.  Oh, but
before I finish, I should mention the beads that I like to use.  I
love semi=precious gemstone beads (they feel heavy or light, cool or
warm, depending on the stone), glass, mother of pearl, olive wood...
I use silk thread or cord (I especially like using my handspun :) )
and silver flexwire.  I'm going to make a rosary with linen thread
soon.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pax Christi,
Sydney

P.S.  Does any one here happen to know how to make knotted Orthodox
prayer ropes?  It's something I'd love to learn.  :)