[Nfb-krafters-korner] soap making

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 22:27:56 UTC 2008

Referring to the soap making class that is being given, we will be using
melt and pour soap.  You melt it in the microwave as Henrietta  explained.  You
can add color and fragrance oils to the melted  mixture.  There is no problem
with touching anything as it is safe.   You need to be careful not to get it
too hot as you should be able to touch it  with your finger and it should feel
hot, but not burn you.  I stick my  finger in the edge of the mold and pour
slowly until I feel the soap touch my  finger and pull my finger out.  The soap
will harden to your finger as soon  as you pull it out as long as it is not too
hot.  This is why I use a 2 cup  measuring cup that has the pouring spout.
It allows you to pour it  directly and you need to be careful and do it slow.

All of this is soap and can be cleaned up and washed.

You do not need any special tools except for the large eye droppers that
Brambleberry has in case you want to be more precise when adding the fragrance
oils to a smaller amount of soap.  Remember 1/2 oz of fragrance oil will  scent
1 pound of melt and pour soap.  So 1 oz. of fragrance oil will do 2  pounds
of soap.

I would not suggest that you put the fragrance oil in the mold to mix it
especially if the molds are small.  As you will get too much scent in that  small
amount of soap.  If you add the fragrance oil to the measuring cup  with the
amount of soap melted [example 1 or 2 pounds of soap] then you can stir  in
the fragrance oil or color and mix it well before pouring it into the  mold.

You need to let the soap set up for a while in the mold before removing it
out of the mold.  That is why I like to have a couple of molds to pour into
and let it set over night or at least a couple of hours.

Don't forget if they are not ready to come out of the mold and break all  you
have to do is remelt it and pour it in again.

I like using the smaller molds example approx. 2 oz as you get a couple of
molds per mold and they set up faster.