[Nfb-krafters-korner] Plastic canvas/cross stitch

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sat Apr 25 23:35:13 UTC 2009

Hi Sydney,

What you might want to consider is latch hooking.  It is easy to find the
larger blank graft style canvis.  Think of your icon picture over-laid with
a graft grid.  It looks like pattern arranging for indian seed beads, in
that each bead/square is a single color that combines with other colors to
form a picture in complete color.  Also, a way to invision your icon is to
think of it as a mosaic.

You could start out with a single mosaic icon, such as a specific style of
cross, and with the help of a sighted person, lay out your lines of colors
as though they filled a single line of graft squares.  Imagine your finger
running acrosss a single row of squares and in each square is a braille
letter representing a color.  If you used this as a guide, you would be able
to show changes in color and shape following the pattern of your icon
picture.

I think this is a little easier than the needle punch because the picture
formation with needle punch follows colors in a certain pattern shape, when
you finish that shape, you move to the next color instead of forming your
picture from left to right, adding colors straight across, one at a time.

I hope I haven't turned you all around with this.  If you want more
information, contact me at my e-mail address below.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net