[Nfb-krafters-korner] New to the List...

freespirit1 tds.net freespirit1 at tds.net
Sun Apr 26 16:04:02 UTC 2009

On 4/25/09, Liz C. Daniels <lizworks at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Greetings to all,
>
> My name is Liz C. Daniels, and along with my husband and guide dog, we live
> in a suburb of LA-LA LAND, otherwise known as Los Angeles, California.
>
> I've just found your list, and decided to join, 'cause I'm interested in the
> possibility of selling my  beautiful and useful creations, which consist of
> knitted items, custom-poured candles and soaps.
>
> There are a couple of local farmer's markets that look promising, and I want
> to be as competitive as possible.
>
> I would like to hear from others who've successfully sold their wares at
> these and other venues.
>
> My initial goal is to simply supplement my income, and then see where this
> venture leads.  I'm burned out from my, "real" job after eight years, and
> took a significant pay cut before the holidays last year; nice, huh?
>
> Some questions:
>
> Is there more or less a going rate for specific knitted items, such as dish
> towels, scarves and baby blankets?  I do knit other things too, but am
> thinking this is a good place to start.
>
> Are there any soap-makers on the list?  I'm just barely starting with this
> craft, and would appreciate hearing from other soap-makers who are blind.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all input.
>
> Liz and Pirate
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/freespirit1%40tds.net

HI Liz:

Welcome to the list. I'm glad you are looking to sell your knitted
items, soaps,  and candles at farmers markets. I have considerable
experience with selling my beadwork jewelry along with over 75 kinds
of jams, jellies, butters and spreads as well as many kinds of spice
mixes and this year I'm bringing along dried and fresh  heirloom herbs
for making tea blends.  I sell at 4 mmarkets in the Madison Wisconsin
area and my husband manages 2 of them. I have been selling now for
over 11 years. I'd be happy to discuss anything you like about selling
at farmers markets such as pricing items,, or specific guidelines on
packaging your  soaps in compliance with the Federal Department of
Weights and measures, etc.  I'm curious which markets you plan to
attend. I hear that California has  asystem of certified farmers
markets Plese email me at freespirit1 at tds.net

I'd also like to invite you to our Monday night phone chat. We talk
about crafts and all kinds of crat related topics  at 7 pm central
time. Please see the list  for the announcement.