[Nfb-krafters-korner] crocheted winter cap pattern

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 22:36:37 UTC 2009

Hi all --
Happy holidays!!!
You can all consider this my Christmas gift to the list.  I will relate the
instructions on making a large, comfortable, nice looking winter cap.
This is a pattern I adapted from one I read in an article somewhere. I use
the half loop chrochet stitch instead of the whole loop stitch which is the
standard. I also altered the number of stitches to reshape it a little, and
the result was so good I made a whole slew of them a number of years ago. I
still have one; the rest I gave as gifts.

Laura's Crocheted Winter Cap

1 4oz skein of whatever color you like.
Use a medium-to-large hook.  (I don't know the gauge of the hook I use.  The
stitches shouldn't be too tight, but you don't want your hat to be loose and
loopy either.  You also want it to be able to stretch a little.)
make a base chain of 52 stitches.

For the rest of the instructions, a half-loop stitch (HL stitch) is one as
described below:
if O is the stitch on the previous row that you are to crochet through, do
not insert the hook under both sides of O's loop.  Instead, insert the hook
through the middle and out behind, only picking up the half of O's loop that
is farthest from you.  There should be only 1 strand of yarn picked up by
the hook.  Proceed from there as if you are doing a standard single stitch.

Now the pattern:
Using HL stitches -- here and for all the rest of the hat -- chrochet 52
single, HL stitches  back to the start of the base chain.  Reverse and
crochet 40 HL stitches , then turn again and chrochet 40 HL stitches back.
Now looking at your work, you should have a long 52-stitch bar with a 40
stitch bar on one end.  This is right.  Now, turn and single chrochet 49 HL
stitches, then turn and do the same going back.  Note that after 40 stitches
you hit the top end of that 40 stitch bar. Ignore it.  Just keep going on
the longer bar until you are 9 stitches in.
Now you should have a 52-stitch bar, topped with a 40 stitch bar, on top of
which is a 49 stitch bar that grabs 9 stitches from the 52 stitch bar.
After you have finished the second row of 49 stitches, turn and do 40 HL
stitches again, and as before, turn and crochet 40 HL stitches back.
Going from the bottom of the hat, then, you have 4 bars of varying lengths,
2 of which are 40 stitches.  Now you will do a full length row -- make 52 HL
stitches -- from the bottom end of the hat to the top, taking care to pick
up the 9 stitches past the 40 stitch bar, and also to pick up the 3 stitches
at the top end of the original base bar.  Then turn and crochet 52 HL
stitches back.
Notice how the height of the crocheting decreases as you move from the
bottom of the hat to the top.  It is just a fancy way to decrease the
circumference of the hat.

Ok, you probably know what to do from here:
40 stitches back and forth;
49 stitches back and forth;
40 stitches back and forth;
52 stitches back and forth.

Keep doing this until you have a total of 9 mid-length bars (49 stitch
bars).
Then crochet the last 40 stitch bar.  Note how the hat takes shape. It is
also very similar on the front and back.
Now you need to crochet the seam that will close the circle.  This seam will
not be a full bar in the hat.  It will probably be folded inside.  you have
just finished crocheting the second row of the 40 stitch bar. Turn the hat
around as if you are going to do another row.  Take the opposite edge of the
hat and find the loops of the base chain, and pick up the half loop as if to
do another HL stitch -- but this time, also pick up the loop on the other
edge of the hat.  Crochet them together.  Repeat this for all 52 stitches.
Then decide how you are going to close the hole at the top of the hat.

As for the top of the hat, I have had best results making a giant size
pompom.  I've made these hats with plain and with varigated yarn.  It always
turns out to be a winner.
Varigated yarn gives a nice effect, actually -- it's kind of like a shot of
a windows screen saver.

Anyway, enjoy, Merry Christmas, or any other holidays you celebrate.
Happy krafting.
--le