[Nfb-krafters-korner] What Crafty Gifts Are You Making.

eileen SCRIVANI etscrivani at verizon.net
Tue Dec 22 16:10:28 UTC 2009

Hi Folks:

Annette's description of her mug cozy's for presents got me curious.  So what hand-crafted gifts are you or have you been working on to give out as presents this year?  I'll start ...

Last week, I started making a baby hoodie for my niece's 6 month old.  He's a big boy so I'm making the sweater sized for an 18-month old.  I got the pattern as a free down load through Red Heart.  It's called "Baby's First Holiday Hoodie."  Of course, I'm not using the called for yarn, but am trying for the first time, Herrschner's worsted weight wool in a pretty shade of red.  The wool is very nice and the knitting is going fast.  I just finished the hood and still need to get the sleeves done.  I hope to get all of this done by tomorrow night then can wash& block it on Thursday morning and ready in time for Friday!  And, of course, I can never just work the pattern as indicated, so am working it in one-piece from the bottom up.  At the shoulders I do a three-needle bind off.  For the hood, picked up stitches around the neck edge and knit back and forth and will do another 3-needle bind off at the top of the hood for the seam.  Then all I have to do is knit the sleeves by picking up around the arm holes and knitting downwards.  Wish me luck since I will need to get this done quick.  I always wait to the very last minute to decide to do this type of thing ... one of these days I'll learn!  If it comes out well I'll make the next larger size for his 2 year old brother, but that will not be ready for Christmas ... maybe his second birthday at the end of January.

Merry Christmas to all.

Eileen