[Nfb-krafters-korner] sewing

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 16:43:21 UTC 2009

Well, I have a sewing question --
My experience has generally followed the old addage "that which ye sew ye
shall also rip".
I have a sewing machine given to me on one of my school graduations from my
mother that is made to be accessible -- tit has presser feet with a screw in
the back to hold an adjustable seam guide, braille on the controls, and
tactile markings in various places.
It is quite easy to use, and for a while I made lots of items of clothing
that I wore -- slacks, dresses, etc.  But I was frustrated by one thing:
when I had to rip a seam to do it over again, I invariably put holes in the
fabric as I found it really hard to identify the right thread before cutting
it.
I used a simple inexpensive seam ripper with the sharp point and cutting
blade.
Does anyone have any idea how to rip without sight, without putting holes in
your garment?
If I knew this I would be quite confident as a sewer -- barring the
embroidery stitches which I never could do straight.
Thanks and happy sewing.
--le