[Nfb-krafters-korner] Keeping finger Sensativity.

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Thu May 14 00:45:45 UTC 2009

joseli:

Guess my unintentionally sending the diabetic question to the Krafters list
has brought up a new discussion thread.

As a diabetic, I consider myself fortunate because for the most part the
feeling & sensitivity in my fingers has remained very good through the years
of having the disease.  I'd be lost if I could not read a Braille knitting
pattern while working on a project.  While the finger-sticks I and other
diabetics have to do can calloused the fingers, just like playing an
instrument, it really hasn't negatively impacted my ability to feel small
craft items.  I've been knitting for almost 19 years and have always been
able to knit, feel the yarn and haven't had issues because of tough skin.
The bigger problem for me was carpel tunnel syndrome (probably caused by
years of knitting and pounding on a Braille writer). I had the CTS corrected
surgically and haven't been bothered by it since the surgery. More recently
I've developed a trigger finger that makes bending my finger painful &
difficult.  I am thinking of going back and having another surgery to
correct it, but just need to prepare myself.

With all that said I find that keeping my hands moisturized throughout the
day so the skin stays soft & doesn't unnecessarily toughen helps.  Then too,
I take vitamins that I believe help in supporting the nerves, decreasing
inflammation and also help the sense of feel.  A good vitamin B-Complex,
fish oils  & alpha Lypoic Acid I believe, while not a cure-all, most
definitely  help.

One thing most crafters forget is to every now and then stop & stretch out
and shake out.  Don't remain in any one position for too long -- it's not
good for you.

Sorry if this has gone off in the direction of health instead of crafts, but
they are actually related since many people have issues with tightness &
repetitive stress syndrome issues.

Eileen