[Nfb-krafters-korner] Felting

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Fri May 15 14:32:26 UTC 2009

Valarie:

If you want to try some felting without knitting or crocheting an item
yourself, look through your sweater draws for perhaps an old store bought
sweater that you no longer wear and that probably was not very expensive.
Make sure it is 100-percent wool so it will be sure to shrink.  If you have
something with colors or perhaps a pretty stitch pattern like a cable
pattern that can help to snazzy it up.

Throw the sweater in your washing machine with about two pairs of jeans so
there will be something for the sweater to rub against.  Set your washing
machine to a normal cycle & very hot water with cold water rinse.  Throw in
an amount of standard washing detergent, nothing that is meant for gentles,
but of course, don't use bleach.

If you want to prevent any fuzzy stuff from clogging up your machine, you
can place the sweater in a pillow case.

After one go through, take the sweater out of the machine and look at it, or
in our case feel it.  Did it shrink?  Did it partially shrink?  If shrinkage
was only slight or not at all, throw it back in and repeat the washing
cycle.  You may have to wash it three or more times.  It is imperative that
you have things that are heavy like jeans in with the sweater.  Friction is
a part of the felting cycle along with shocking the wool by having hot wash
and a cold rinse.

Also make sure your sweater is not "machine Washable" or it will not shrink.

Once the fabric feels nice to you and you still have some stitch definition,
consider your felting finished. You can felt to much so that the fabric
becomes so dense & tight that you will not be able to feel or see any pretty
stitching that might have been on it prior to felting.  How much to felt is
your call.

Once the sweater is felted, you can take a pair of scissors and cut the
thing apart to make yourself a hand bag or tote bag of some type.  Most
sweaters can be cut horizontally across from one under arm to the other.
The nice even part of the sweater body fits the bill for the body of a hand
bag or tote.  You will just need to sew one long seam.  Before you sew it up
look at the piece, perhaps any ribbing that is on the bottom waist band
would be better served  for the top edge of your bag rather that the bottom
seam edge of the pag.  Look at the sleeves and yoke sections, and perhaps
they can be cut into sections to use as pockets or straps or applied
decorations.  Or you might be able to make a little makeup pouch or
bill-fold out of the left over parts.  You can get very creative with it.
Or, you can purchase suede straps or bottoms and sew them onto your bag.

Let me know if you try it.  Good luck.

Eileen