[Nfb-krafters-korner] Interesting article on products for wool

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 07:42:11 UTC 2009

I found this in the newsletter that I get from Needlecraft University

Article of the Month - Wool Wash Products

In December 2003, we had an article about washing your knit and crochet
garments. At that time, I talked about detergents, water temperature, etc.
This
time, I want to talk about products that are specifically designed for
washing wool, silk, and other delicate items. These products:

list of 5 items
1. Contain lanolin so they will keep your garments soft.
2. Do not need rinsing, so they conserve water.
3. Contain natural oils,  not chemicals.
4. Can be used for hand or machine-wash.
5. Are  biodegradable, so do not harm the environment.
list end
One of these  products is "Eucalan". On top of the above properties, it has
eucalyptus or  lavender oils which are moth and flea deterrents. The
no-scent
variety is  perfect for people who are sensitive to scent, but it does not
control pests.

Another product in this category is "Kookaburra Woolwash". This product was
 first made in Australia and uses the oils of the Australian Tea Trees
(Melaleuca
alternifolia) which is known to be effective against dust mites  and
allergens. People use it for washing baby clothes. It keeps the garments  soft and
does
not take out the natural lanolin in wool.

The third product in this category is "Soak", which comes in three
different scents, Flora, Aquae, and Citrus. Like the other two, it has a  rinse-free
formulation, can be used for hand or machine washing, and is
biodegradable. If you rinse the garment, you can take out the scent. I have not  found any
information about this product to suggest that it is a moth or flea
deterrent.

For more information about these products check out:

_http://www.eucalan.com/_ (http://www.eucalan.com/)

_http://www.kookaburraco.com/_ (http://www.kookaburraco.com/)

_http://www.soakwash.com/_ (http://www.soakwash.com/)