[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hairpin lace

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 13:39:02 UTC 2009

I will give the summarizing a try. Hairpin lace is basically a form of
crochet which is done on a frame. The frames come in different sizes and
shapes. The frames (my word) which do not adjust look like a print letter U.
At the bottom of the U is a stick-like piece which has holes in it and
serves to hold the work on the frame. The adjustable frames look more like
two bars with the stick-like pieces on either end. To work hair pin lace you
wrap the yarn around the frame and not it in the middle, then you make what
amounts to a single crochet stitch in the middle. Each time you make a
stitch you turn the frame and the yarn wraps around that side of the frame.
When you are finished with the desired number of stitches you have a strip
which has stitches down the middle and loops on either side. These loops
then are connected to the loops of the next strip you make. The final work
is very delicate.