[Nfb-krafters-korner] paper weaving?

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon Sep 21 01:56:42 UTC 2009

Hi Joyce,

The reason I am going to change for this basket is that when I twisted up my
newspapers for the core, I did not roll the paper tight enough so that when
I twisted them, instead of keeping a round form they wanted to go flat.
When you are then trying to wrap your strips around your core, this shape
does not allow your wrapping papers to lay flat around the core and will
cause gaps where the newsprint will show between your wrapping paper.  I
didn't feel like scrounging up more news paper since we don't get the paper
ourselves.  Don't get me wrong, I still prefer newsprint because you can get
a longer strip for your core, but I didn't want to go through that process
again.  In addition, since I had never tried a different paper for the core
before, there's no time like the present to try new things.  LOL!

I also seem to have an idea to do a basket in ribbon.  Use the softer
clothes line cord and I have some rather wide Christmas green and red ribbon
that I can at least cut in half for the wrap.  Who knows what may happen
between now and Christmas.

Right now I'm working on a knitted stole for the Red Cross's Webb of Hope.
It is going to be red with a red or white collar, knitted on size 10-1/2
kneedles, using garter and seed stitches.  I have another one, lavinder and
white on one of my round looms that I am going to take off before our next
meeting and put a solid lavinder collar on that one.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net