[Nfb-krafters-korner] knitting needle gauge

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 17:53:11 UTC 2010

I have some of these knitting needle gauges for sale.  Please contact  me
off list.
_Blindhands at aol.com_ (mailto:Blindhands at aol.com)

OK how they work...

They are made out of plastic, metal or kinda like a plastic template type
such as what the quilters use for patterns.

In this there are holes ranging in size from hmmmmm double or triple 000 up
 to a size 13, or 15 or higher like the largest I believe I have come
across is  size 17 or 19 needle size.

The idea of it you put your needle into each hole until you can slide it
pass the tip of the needle up to the shaft part of the needle.  Now you  back
off one hole and you should not be able to put the needle beyond the tip of
 the needle in that hole.  So the hole that your needle fits into and the
shaft fits into represents the size of your needle.

Each one of the holes are labeled with words in metric and American  size
needles.

Now for the blind...What works better...

Some of these needle gauges have the holes running in a continuous   line
or curved line.  This is not good for us blind folks. Reason: Then you  need
to count the holes from one end or the other  up to where your needle  is
sticking into the hole and know the sizes of the holes related to the size of
your needles.  You can tactilly mark say the hole in the middle to help you
 out, but usually this is not always possible do to lack of room or
interference  with the hole.

Now what I have found that works great for me...

Is that they make these needle gauge so the holes are in groups and then it
 is easier to know that example row  2 starts on the left with size 6 hole
and ends on the right with size 10 1/2 needle size.and maybe there is 3 or
4  rows..

The ones I have are the ones that have the rows of different sizes.

They are shaped in a knit hat and I think the pompom on the hat is the
largest size needle. They are $5.50 and that includes shipping.

Joyce  Kane
www.KraftersKorner.org  (http://www.krafterskorner.org/)