[Nfb-krafters-korner] crocheting with beads

Laurie Porter freespirit1 at tds.net
Sat Aug 7 12:42:10 UTC 2010

I haven't started crocheting with beads yet, but I've collected a lot of
research about it over the years . Maybe when I get better at crocheting
with yarn. However, I've read that bead crochet is somewhat differen beyond
having to load all those beads onto strands for that, I use a very handy
device called a bead spinner. or using crocheted stiches using bead thread
between rows of seed beads.  One of the best sources for information about
bead crochet is lydia Borrens site http//www.beadwrangler.com She has many
different workshops and tutorials  with text that is written well enough for
people who can't access printed diagrams and arrows as is the case with so
much in the beading and crafting world.   Also check out the Beadwork
Samplers page Their history of beading stiches and their techniques pages
are also well written and have served as a primer for me to learn the
stiches. She has this great project of making samplers of all the bead
stiches sewing them onto fabric and then creating a book with the fabric
pieces. That got me to thinking that it would be cool to creat a book of
that kind so that blind people could actually feel what the stiches are
supposed to look like. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a sewer, as hard as
that might  be to believe. I have most of the stich samplers done with the
exception of crochet,  I just have to learn to sew them onto the fabric and
use them to creat the book. any of you that might be experienced with sewing
beadwork I would really appreciate the assistance in this kind of project.