[Nfb-krafters-korner] crafts and time constraints

Henrietta Brewer gary.brewer at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 03:27:56 UTC 2010

Okay, can't help myself.

The first craft I do for babies is to draw faces or shapes on a pair
of booties.  Something bright to look at.  Sometimes I knit a piece
that can be gathered into a ball and safely hide a bell inside. Never
want anything that small to get into baby's mouth.

Wrist bands with sounds are great too. Knit or sew a soft band
securing a sound item inside a larger piece.  Make sure it is light
enough for baby to swing arms and enjoy the music.

Now that there are so many ways to make music this could get to be
lots of fun.

Anything is a wonderful mobile for baby. Just needs color and motion
to make the day wonderful.  I like to use old cd's. Hanging alone on
a ceiling hook or old mobile frame they are glittery and
entertaining.  Add photos of Aunt Lee, who is far away, and wow, the
perfect gift.

Picture books covered with plastic will make long distant family seem
closer.  As baby gets older the faces in these books will make visits
more friendly. When baby is tiny the books will remind Mom and Dad to
talk about Aunt Lee often.

Our oldest Grand Daughter is a real reader.  She is three tents of a
point from being a four point student. Grandma says it is because she
had a book that could be attached across her cradle with pictures of
babies.  When Grandma got her old fashion cassette player out to
read, Ciera read her picture book.

When Ciera was able to lift her head while laying on the floor, she
and Grandma made a bunny out of a diaper.  We used pony tail holder
bands to wrap around the parts that were ears and the neck and our
bunny had two legs and a bunny tail. She loved her bunny because she
could pick it up off the floor.  It was light weight and the banded
areas made it easy to put those little hands around the bunny.

Now that saying, "if I knew how much fun it was to have Grand
Children, I would have had them first" is for sure the truest
statement I have ever heard. lol