[Nfb-krafters-korner] crafts and time constraints

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 02:26:42 UTC 2010

Hi all --
Hope you're all enjoying your krafting endeavors.
I have been so busy with other things I lag behind on my kraft mail.  Still
I'm having trouble unsubscribing from this list -- or rather, I can't bring
myself to unsubscribe.  Every time I start reading I get interested in
something.  In any case, if you don't hear much from me I'm probably just
lurking until I have more time.
I just returned from a long vacation visiting my brother's family in NC. My
niece is expecting her first baby, which the ultrasound shows is a boy, and
they will name him Benjamin. It was fun that at our reunion people were
lining up to get a picture with "Benny", who is not due until Dec 1.  One of
my nephews has also proposed to a girl he has been dating and she said yes.
Now here's a cute story for you -- he was so cute the way he prepared to pop
the question. He took picture transfers and ironed on a tablecloth the
pictures of him and her on the various dates they had been on since they
met. He chose a place out in the park to set up the table and tablecloth,
then put a ring pop (candy ring) under a centerppiece and hid underneath the
actual diamond ring he had bought.  She realized what was going on and said
she had to first go and get something from her car, which was a ring for
him.  He held her and wouldn't let her go until he asked a certain question,
but finally she gave him her glasses as "colateral" and she went and got her
gift. They then exchanged rings.  You would have to know this nephew.  He is
very responsible and sweet and has an artistic flair.

We also attended a genealogical convention -- a group of people who are
searching out their lineage.  Because the governor of NC is married to an
Eaves (and that is the name they were researching) the governor invited us
to have our dinner and activity at the governor's mansion.  She is a lady
governor, Gov Perdue.  She did not take the name of Eaves when they married.
We have pics of all of us with either the Governor or the "first dude" as
some dubbed him. They even brought in the governor's dog, a tibetan terrior.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to get so long. This event attracts a
surprising number of enthusiastic people, who are interested in tracing all
the fragments of Eaves genealogy or are related to someone who is.
My mother even took the job of DNA administrator.  I won't bore you with all
that, but it is fascinating how paper records don't match DNA in a lot of
cases, and people named Eaves (or something like it) appear in many diverse
lines.

But back to krafts -- I don't know about safety pin crafts or art, but I
have found safety pins extremely useful for pressing reset buttons, labeling
or adjusting clothes or purses, and what not.
I'd be interested if anyone has done a nontrivial artic craft using safety
pins.
I love your discussion of pipe cleaner art and butterflies.  Reminds me of
when I was a kid.
When little Benny and his siblings come along, I am hoping to have a lot of
interesting stuff ready to do with them -- I don't know if I can stand being
way out here in MN.    But I love MN.  It's just that Benny will be the
first in that generation -- my Mom's first great grandchild.

Any ideas are welcome.
What types of mobiles are good for a baby's room?  (I don't expect him to
make butterflies immediately out of the womb...

Hugs and happy krafting to all!
--le