[Nfb-krafters-korner] Use of CCTV for Krafting

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Mon Aug 23 12:17:27 UTC 2010

Hi Terry,
Well if we went somewhere together, you with central vision, and me with
peripheral vision, we would be able to get around!  I could get us to the
right department, and you could get us the right object we were seeking.

I first encountered the CCTV at the Blind and Vision Rehabilitation Services
School I attended for 15 weeks. It is in Homestead, PA. I can highly
recommend it to anyone who might be thinking of doing training. It was a
Godsend to me.

You have to practice a LOT to use the CCTV - at first just a few minutes on
it sent me into an all day long headache and bad eye day. But, with
practice, my eyes began to adjust to it and now I can work on it for hours
sometimes.

Because I have some peripheral vision (20/700) I can use it with a very
large screen and high contrast - black/white.

At the school, there were people with tunnel vision. They could use the CCTV
and the Zoomtext on the computer very well. Perhaps with lots of practice
you could use it, I use a combination of JAWS and ZoomText to do the
computer. If there is a page of text or long messages on E-mail, it is too
exhausting for me to try to read it visually. It would take forever, as I
can only read a little bit at a time and it has to be very large - white on
Black screen. I cannot see my keyboard and do that nonvisually, too.

The CCTV is helping me with little details that I have been unable to do
non-visually - like putting the clasps on my jewelry, and doing encrusted
bead working again.

I have two CCTVs - one for my office, and one for my studio. With them, I am
able to do tons of things I could not be doing otherwise, or with great
difficulty. I just lost my sight less than 3 years ago, and very suddenly,
so these have helped me a lot to be the person I have been before, but with
adaptations.

Lynda

Lynda Lambert
River Road Studio, Since 1976