[Nfb-krafters-korner] Happy Day for Me

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Mon Aug 23 11:56:59 UTC 2010

Hi Linda;
I have just the opposite.  I have tunnel vision, so my field of vision is very small.  I describe my sight as, a quick motion of the eye to put a picture together.  They tried a cc tv on me, once, and I could only read 6 words a minute.  My sight used to be 20/400, long ago.  I am sure it is not that good any more.  I use my sight to tell most colors, view the trees and buildings and more, but I use a cane when outside.  I can read jumbo print, when I write it.  Almost everything else I do tactually.
I can see a computer screen and describe it, but surely not read it.

So what can you actually do with the cc tv.  With periferal vision, I am surprised you can use such a device.  I have trouble focusing.  If print is to big, it is just as bad as it is if it is when it is to small.  It is a mistory to me, how a normally sighted person can focus and see a whole word at one time and I most of the time can not even focus on the whole letter.  I have to scan the letter to tell if it is a O, D or B.

Terry P.