[Nfb-krafters-korner] Looking around

Theresa Taylor tct71887 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 01:35:37 UTC 2010

I also applaud your willingness to help your nephew explore crafts. I just
wanted to mention that I was tactilely defensive as a child and it still
comes out a bit as I am getting older. This is not unusual with blind
people, but it certainly isn't a good excuse not to get our hands dirty. I
still do many crafts and as a child I did need more coaxing to get dirty. It
was amazing...I would climb a tree or go swimming in a river with lots of
critters, but ask me to touch paste and I would gag. My parents were patient
and pushed enough to get me through it. I used to keep diaper wipes or some
other type of hand soap handy to wash my hands when I felt sensory overload.
I also just realized through trial and error that this stimulation bothered
me less and less as I worked with it.
I hope this helps and if you want more ideas for how I became less and less
tactilely defensive....let me know.