[Nfb-krafters-korner] Looking around

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 29 11:57:43 UTC 2010

Being comfortable with his body in space/the world is so important.  Just as
with sighted kids this will mean some bumps, bruises and scrapes, and maybe
a broken bone or two.  My brother's first broken bone was when he was
playing basketball and the ball jammed his finger.  The ball does not
discriminate between blind and sighted players.  My one and only broken bone
was when I slipped on the ice running away from the boys who were throwing
snowballs at the girls.  This was at the school for the blind where all of
the kids had some level of visual impairments.  The boys had shut the locked
door to the tunnel connecting the girls dorm to the main building.  It was a
cold snowy day and we were not prepared to be outside, but needed to report
back to the dorm after breakfast by a certain time so we had no other choice
then to go outside.  As soon as we hit the sidewalk, we were ambushed with
snowballs.  So like typical prissy girls, we ran for the dorm, and just
before I got to the steps to the dorm I went down and jammed my thumb on the
step.  The boys stopped firing and helped me inside where I informed them I
was going to pass out.  Then one of the biggest guys
>From the wrestling team starting calling me a baby and said no one passes
out from bumping their hand on the stairs.  When I came to, I could hear him
saying "Oh my goodness, she passed out".  That injury only kept me out of
cheerleading and skiing for a few weeks, and I was all healed and ready to
go when the track season started.  The one lesson I learned from this
experience is that instead of running, I should have turned around and
picked up snowballs and thru them back at the boys.

That was not my last snowball fight.  Once in my home public school and in
college, I was the instigator of a number of snowball fights, and more which
we will not go into here.  At first my sighted friends were afraid to throw
snowballs back at me, but over time they learned that I was just another
student, who just couldn't see where I was throwing.  I received no injuries
from these events.

My point of babbling on is to let you know that as blind children and
adults, we need to experience everything that our sighted peers experience,
just that we have to find alternative ways of experiencing the sighted
things.  Like mentioned earlier, teaching him how to shake and nod his head,
wave, put his hand out to initiate a shake, etc.  I was once told a story
about a young blind woman who had read in a book about people placing their
chin on their hand.  She asked someone about it and they explained to her
how it was done.  Unfortunately, the friend left out the part of either
leaning on the table, or keeping your arm close to the body and supporting
it at the elbows with the other hand.  This lack of info was only realized
when the young woman was observed holding her chin with her hand and having
her elbow pointing out in front of her.  A good sense of humor is another
good skill to develop to help get through the awkward times.

I hope I have not bored all of you with my babbling.

Have a great day,
Annette