[Nfb-krafters-korner] Braille

Ramona Walhof rwnfbi at q.com
Tue Aug 31 14:39:46 UTC 2010

Any Braille reader who reads much uses as many fingers as possible.  First,
both hands are essential if available.  second, three fingers on each hand
help you to keep your place, and you can read half the line with each hand.
When you are just getting started, it is easy to develop bad habits which
will slow you down if allowed to continue.  Many people find that their
middle  finger is just as important as the first finger.  If the first
finger is not as sinsitive as the middle one, use it for reinforcing your
place, and make the middle one the dominant finger, preferrably on both
hands.  But you can use different fingers on your two hands if it works
better and doesn't confuse you.  .

I have taught a lot of Braille to people who use all kinds of conbinations
of fingers, and some of them started late and developped pretty good speed.
Another danger is that you allow yourself to be stiff and rub the dots.  The
lighter the touch, the easier it is to feel the dots.  I used to give my
students a rabbit's foot and tell them to pet it with all their fingers to
get the feeling of lightly stroking the Braille, always going the right
direction across the line.

 It takes regular practice.  That's the  most important thing.  You can tell
that this is one of my soap boxes.

Ramona