[Nfb-krafters-korner] Intarsia Class

linda the_ninn at tx.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 02:15:32 UTC 2010

Hi ladies,

I thought I'd pass along a little bobbin 411.

As I said before, you can use store bought bobbins.  But, you might not have
store bought bobbins.

You might want to use cardboard or card stock or a business card.  But, you
might not have cardboard or card stock or a business card.

You might want to use a baggie. (smile)

The one thing you always have with you is your hand.  So, making a butterfly
bobbin is always doable!

The last option is to not use a bobbin at all.  This is fine if you can
identify the yarn color.  It is recommended that if you are going to use
loose strands that they only be an arm's length long, approximately 2 yards.
This is okay if you only need a small amount for a small block of color, or
you don't mind weaving in a lot of ends  .

Personally, I hate weaving in ends.  I'd rather make a butterfly bobbin
which you can make using a lot more yarn.  The recommended length of yarn in
a bobbin is approximately 5 yards.

For our bags, we will need a bobbin of 7 yards from the bag color (MC), and
approximately a 9 yard bobbin from our tree color (CC).  While this is
longer than the recommended length, I think the lengths are manageable and
we won't have that many ends to work in.

If you are familiar with bobbins and want to make yours ahead of time, that
is fine.  Use whatever method you prefer.  If not, please be ready to make
bobbins when we start the class tomorrow.  You'll need a yard stick or
measuring tape, business card, baggies, etc. . You will also need a means of
differentiating the two bobbins.  We will use the original skein with which
you knit the back of your bag as the third bobbin since we will use it to
finish the bag after we complete our tree.

If you have any questions, please let me know.  Have a great evening and
I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Blessings,

Ninn

The_ninn at tx.rr.com