[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hello everybody!

Dick Carlson dick.carlson0428 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 10:50:22 UTC 2010

Hello everybody!!

I bring you greetings not only from me this time but also from a pretty happy six-year-old who is sound asleep...has been for a few hours.  He's going to be staying with me for a few days, as he's off from school this week for Christmas.  I have the week off as well.  He came this morning.

First, I want to let whoever gave the recipe for those brownies know that they were fantastic!  I thought I'd make them for the two of us, and they were a hit.  In fact, he might have eaten one too many, I think.  He was sitting down in the kitchen keeping me company while I attempted to make the brownies.  They sure smelled and tasted good.  Other than that, we're getting ready for Christmas in a few days.

We did end up going outside to the near-by park today, and it was great because a few other kids were there.  Willy rode the swing and was talking to another kid on the swing next to him, which is great.  He has school friends but could stand to have more kids his age around him.  I was thrilled that he was being social and wwanting to be outside.

I don't know what has happened lately, but today was the first time Willy took his cane with him without me having to remind him or talk him into it.  He used it, too!  In fact, he used it a lot and at one point, he was not holding on to my arm, and I don't think either of us realized it but we kept walking.  I didn't want to spoil his moment so I just kept next to him talking to him.  We noticed that his cane had a cool tap to it and almost had a rhythm to it.  I got him laughing because as we walked along the sidewalk and he was tapping his cane, I was being silly and snapping my fingers along with his cane tap and I sometimes just clapped along as we walked and we had fun.  Willy finally did realize he was walking next to me by himself.

So, now that we know he can use his cane, I have a question for you.  How do I continue to encourage it?  How often should I continue to make him use it and take it with him now?  And, should we continue to see if he keeps it up?

Well, since this is a kraft list, I should let you know that we tried one of those things one of you suggested with the apple and cloves.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It smelled good and we did a couple of them but for some reason I guess Willy wasn't as interested.  He's been really excited and wanting me to show him to make and do new things that are exciting and I think he personally wants a challenge.
We played with his blocks today, and he enjoyed that, but again, I'm thinking Mr. Willy wants a true kraft, so we'll just have to give him one!
We're definitely going to do the popsicle stick things too, just as soon as I get them.  LOL  We'll just see how things go.
Happy holidays!
Dick