[Nfb-krafters-korner] Handmade Christmas Gifts

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Fri Dec 31 13:01:48 UTC 2010

This is in response to your question: Did anyone else give handmade gifts
for christmas?

I gave pottery that I made to each of my daughters and grand daughters for
Christmas.  I gave bowls, plates, egg plates, and trivets to them this year.
For other people who are freinds, I gave handmade knitted dish cloths, a
knitted scarf, and a beautiful beadwork necklace to another friend to match
the shawl I had knitted her as a commission. People were very delighted.

My daughter, Ilsa, made ceramic gifts for family members, too. She made
outrageous frogs and toads, very large and wild colors. One grand daughter
got a putple frog with hot pink lips.  I got a snail - about 10 inches tall,
and it's shell feels like sand. It has a big smile on it's face...for my Zen
Meditation Garden, she said.

Now is the best time to begin to think of next year's handmade gifts.  Lots
of things are on sale at great clearance prices, so now is the time to think
about what you will make, and go buy what you'll need to make it. This is
the very best time to buy yarn - end of year clearance prices, and
close-outs on discontinued yarns, too.

One thing I have to be careful about though, is that some people hate crafts
and handmade gifts - I have a daughter who absolutely hates anything that is
"made." She says this, so I do not even bother to make her anything any more
as she never uses it or wears it - I did give her two pieces of my pottery
this year, and who knows if it will ever be used.

Lynda River Woman