[Nfb-krafters-korner] Help With Crochet!!!

eileen SCRIVANI etscrivani at verizon.net
Fri Feb 12 19:09:16 UTC 2010

Hi Annette:

I'm the one who isn't understanding.  I suppose I find crochet confusing
because it seems that the stitch counts are not like they are in knitting.
For instance, where I had skipped 2 chains and then worked 3 double crochet
in the next chain, I viewed this as increasing 2 stitches for the 2 chains I
had skipped.  So at the end of the row, I have been making up for all the sk
2 chs.  I also didn't realize that the initial chain 3 or chain 4 at the
beginning/end of a row counted as a new double crochet stitch.  I have been
thinking that the turning chains were just a way of building up a length to
go up to the next row because double crochet stitches are taller than a
single crochet.  I've read through volume 1 of Crocheting in Plain English
by Maggie Righetti and I thought I was ready to move onto something a little
more advanced ... maybe not.

Thanks.  I'll look over what you wrote and the original pattern again and
try to figure out the math behind it.

Thanks.

Eileen