[Nfb-krafters-korner] Yarn reference

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sun Jul 4 19:33:04 UTC 2010

Hi Cindy:

I don't know of any web sites that discuss the traits of different fibers.

You can basically use any yarn you like for a knitted bag, but if you're
looking for drapey, I'm not sure that cotton is the fiber.  Many knitters
say that cotton is heavy and don't like knitting say a sweater with 100%
cotton because the weight will over time stretch it down and therefore, out
of shape.  If your heart is set on a cotton, perhaps you should consider
using a cotton blend that has some acrylic in it and will help your bag stay
in shape once complete.  Or, if you do decide on a 100% cotton bag, keep it
on the smaller side.  Other alternatives to cotton might be a linen or
bamboo yarn, or some blend of those fibers.  Use what you like and produces
the appearance & feel that you like for your bag.  Perhaps you should
consider the type of bag you want to make before choosing the fiber ... a
small bag for going out or only carrying light weight essentials, or do you
want a work-horse that is larger and will carry more parafanalia?

Felted bags, can be sturdy and can be made to hold heavier items, but here
too it depends on the wool used to make the felt.  If you choose a really
soft feltible wool then you'll have a finer softer felted fabric.  You can
also use either ribbon or cord yarns.
Try knitting a swatch in the pattern you have and with the yarn you like and
see if you like the result.

HTH.

Eileen