[Nfb-krafters-korner] Crohooking

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Jul 15 08:54:13 UTC 2010

Okay, the two individual crohooks are sold in sets or singular.  The ones in
the set are sold like that because the pattern inside calls for two
different sizes due to the baby items.  You only use one crohook at a time
and you slide the piece your working on from one end to the other, using the
hook on either end.

Picture this...
Make a chain of 14 links.  Like crochet, Using either end, starting with the
first link, go in with your hook and pull a loop through each chain link and
leave it on your needle.  You should have 15 loops on your needle including
your original loop.  Slide your piece down the long needle so it sits at the
opposite end and the second hook and then turn it around so that your piece
is now on the left end of the needle.

Attach your second color to that end of your piece.  now you have two colors
attached, one at either end.  Your first color is now your non-working
thread (on your right) and your second color is now your working thread (on
your left).

Working thread:  Wrap yarn over hook and pull it through your first loop and
then chain one.  Now this is what you are going to do all the way across.
Wrap yarn around hook, pull through next loop and then chain one.  this
removes each loop and then locks it in place with a chain.  Once you have
only one loop remaining, using the working thread (still the thread on your
left), put your hook through the chain closest to your hook and pull loop
through and onto your hook.  You are now putting loops back onto your
needle.  You should then have 15 loops back on your needle.  Your working
thread is still now on your left.  Push your piece over to the right and
turn it around so your working thread is on the right side and the
non-working color is on your left.

Important!!!
Your non-working thread has just become your working thread.

You keep this color changing pattern going back and forth, crocheting the
loops off and then hooking them back on.  The color pattern will look like a
wide stripe of color A with a narrow stripe of color B on one side and then
a wide stripe of color B with a narrow stripe of color A on the other side.
You can use contrasting colors or two shades of another color.

The hardest part is the first color swop because there is not much there to
hold onto as you go.  Once you've gotten over that part, then it is easy to
set a steady pase and it goes like clock work.

Susan R.
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net