[Nfb-krafters-korner] OT: Speaking of Computers

Eleni Vamvakari magkisa83 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:54:01 UTC 2010

Hello to everyone,

  I never thought I'd be posting a computer-related topic on here but
here goes.  I'll try to put everything in one place so that we don't
have many off-topic posts and I promise not to make this a habit.  Of
course, feel free to e-mail me offlist if you think doing so on here
will cause a problem and I'll simply let everyone know when
something's been resolved.

  I'm currently having a machine made by JG Custom PCs.  However, they
haven't started yet and are still looking for parts.  These are the
specifications that I sent to them.  If you have a machine that meets
a good number of these specs and are willing to sell it, could you
please let me know?  The 5.25 floppy, cd rom, scsi slot, ethernet jack
and usb port are not necessary if it's a laptop.  I'd also like
something under 7 lbs. if possible and with less than a 14.1 screen
(smaller is better).  The same exceptions apply for a desktop (minus
the weight and screen of course) with the addition of the pcmcia slot
not being necessary, since most desktops don't have those.  Still,
having both floppies would be nice.  The only catch is that the
computer needs to have drivers for MS-DOS because I can then use them
with the modern version of the operating system that I'll be
installing.

  I'm also looking for hardware and software for DOS-based machines,
such as an ocr program (and scanner), a braille translation program, a
wordprocessor (Word Perfect and Ed.exe, their text editor, is acting
strangely with VocalEyes), a synthesizer (especially a KeyNote Gold
SA, Dectalk Express or PC or an Apollo capable of reading Greek) and
whatever else comes to mind.  I have a Braille Blazer, a KeyNote Gold
Voicecard (worried about it's fragility), two Echos and a nonworking
Accent SA, so the synth isn't of immediate concern though it would be
great to find a new one considering my choices.  Finally, if any of
you program in QuickBASIC or do batch programming in DOS, please let
me know.  I'm on the Blind Computing and Computers mailing lists but
couldn't find anything else with much activity, so advice on other
lists would also be great, even if you can't answer anything else.

  Stars mean that something is essential and dbd means determined by
designer.  The optional section is idealistic and not necessary.

===
Desktop Specifications

Form Factor
small/able to fit on desk (mini tower if possible and regular desktop if not)

 Weight
whatever is reasonable for size and hardware included

hard disk capacity
No more than 5gb and no less than 100mb if there's no partition.
Willing to accept a partition of a single  10gb drive split into
two5gb drives or two separate internal drives but if you know how to
makeDOS see more than 5gb I'll accept a larger single drive. Nothing
over 20gb is needed.

Ram
*No more than 64mb and no les than 32mb.

CPU Speed
No more than 500mhz and no less than 100mhz.

Input
Enhanced 101 keyboard (already owned but a new one is fine so long as
it doesn't connect via usb port.)

Media
*1 3.5 in. (1.44mb,, LS240 or HiFD 200mb) floppy
*1 5.25 in. high dencity floppy,
1 cd rom

Connectivity
*1 standard RS-232 9-pin male serial port
*1 bidirectional female parallel port (2 if possible)
*1 pcmcia slot
*1 modem jack with internal 56k modem
1 ethernet jack
*1 ps/2 port
1 line-in jack or microphone jack
*1 headphone/speaker jack
video ports dbd
1 scsi slot
1 usb 2.0 port

Sound
*built-in DOS-compatible sound card

Screen-related
resolution: dbd
graphics etc.: dbd

OS
Latest stable release of Enhanced DR-DOS with all necessary drivers
and patches preferred. If not, then a machine with FreeDOS installed.
Links and installation instructions will be provided.

Ideal/optional
parts from Japan,, America, Europe etc. and not china,  Korea, Taiwan
etc. (really appreciated)
ability to burn with cd rom if drive is included
wireless card (WaveLAN and ORiNOCO might work with DOS)
metal casing
1  750mb zip drive
other essential hardware dbd

Thanks for everything,