[Nfb-krafters-korner] casting

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Tue Jul 27 20:43:39 UTC 2010

Terry K:

I'm assuming you are talking about casting on since we haven't actually
covered the actual knitting of a row.  But no matter if you are casting on
stitches or actually knitting, whenever you wrap the yarn over the right
needle, it is **ALWAYS** done in a Counter clockwise motion!  Wrap the
working yarn over the top of the right needle coming from the left going to
the right and then back down in back.  the right needle should be positioned
both under & in back of your left needle when you wrap the yarn over it.

If you are not creating a stitch on your right needle after you draw the
yarn down through the loop on the left needle, it may be either the way you
were originally wrapping the yarn in a clockwise motion rather than the
correct counter clockwise motion, or that you are not putting enough tension
on the working yarn as you try to draw the new loop onto the right needle.
If you don't have enough tension on the working yarn it just may not be able
to catch on the right needle.

The way you wrap the yarn over your right needle is important and if you
wrap clockwise that is wrong, reverse the direction to counter clockwise.

If you throw the yarn English style that fine, I'm not out to change what
you already know.

HTH.

Eileen