[Nfb-krafters-korner] help with beginning Krochet

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sat Jun 5 19:31:36 UTC 2010

Hi Angela:

I am not a good crocheter, but I have the basics.  When I learned and even
today, I have always found that working that first row, of crochet be it
single or half double or double most difficult when working back across into
the foundation of chains.  Nore often than not, I was unable to feel exactly
what I was supposed to be going into with the hook and coming out at the end
with the correct number of stitches.

I solved these problems by bying a package or two of Clover brand, "Locking
Stitch Markers.  As I form each chain stitch, I place a locking marker on
the loop left on the hook before creating the next chain.  Then as I work
back doing say single crochet, even though it is tight, I am able to feel
the strands of yarn in the chain and can manage to insert the hook into the
correct position.  As you work a few rows of single crochet, it will be come
easier for you to feel what you should be going into and you can eliminate
the markers.

Eileen