[Nfb-krafters-korner] talking color detector

MS S TILLETT suetillett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 16 20:03:10 UTC 2010

How much is the color test?  Thanks.

Sue
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: qubit
  To: List for blind crafters and artists
  Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] talking color detector

  Hi -- I have the expensive/overpriced one that I bought because of a
  favorable comparison test at convention a few years ago. It is the Color
  Test, sole by APH -- they also sell the Colorino, which is much cheaper but
  still recognizes 200 shades. (The Color Test does many shades, some of which
  I don't even know the meaning of -- one shade in particular is apparently a
  shade of red, but honestly, I don't know the word it is trying to use. It
  sounds like cerix or something like that, but I try many words with many
  spellings and come up with nothing. I don't know how many shades the CT
  recognizes.)

  A note on accuracy -- having had very good color vision -- and I still am
  able to see many color shades -- I believe the color test chooses color
  descriptions different from what I would choose. It says "pink" for what I
  would call coral-pink or salmon, and calls magenta "purple".
  Also, a curious behavior, it calls brown "violet or aubergene", unless I
  push the material into the opening where the camera is located, where it
  then changes to "rich dark brown".
  I thought this was odd until I talked to my mother, who has macular
  degeneration.  She says since her retina has been affected, she has had
  trouble differentiating dark violet and brown.

  I don't know about the Colorino, but even though the color test recognizes
  many shades, I wouldn't trust it to pick out subtle shades.  It tries, and
  it is a lot of money, but it fails in too many instances, although it works
  better if I push the material so it bulges into the camera opening.  The
  reason I bought it was that I have trouble differentiating dark colors, and
  at convention, the colorino called my blue pants black while the color test
  identified everything correctly.

  So that is my experience.
  Take it or leave it.
  G ood luck.