[Nfb-krafters-korner] Braille verses talking

Sahar Husseini sahar at inebraska.com
Sat Jun 26 13:06:05 UTC 2010

Marianne,

The reason so many people have trouble confusing letters on the slate is because they think they need to reverse and write backwards.  I know because I was one of those people.  I had to change the way I think about it.  You see, having learned Braille as a child, I didn't learn by dots, but by shapes.  It's hard to explain.  I didn't start thinking in dots until I had to teach Braille.  Then, I had to totally change the way I thought, and it took a while to change a lifelong pattern.  All you have to remember when you write is the following:
When you write, you start on the right, and 1 2 3 are on the right.  Having said that, once you know your dots, when you think of the D or F, don't think of the shape.  D is always 1 4 5 whether you're reading or writing it.  The difference is that when you write, 1 2 3 are on the right.  Hope that makes sense.  In the middle of writing this, I realized how off topic it is, but I just couldn't make myself not send it.  *smile*  You know what they say:  It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.  Everyone now can yell at me.

Warm regards,
Sahar Husseini
For hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind jewelry, Please visit my Website at
www.saharscreations.com
And remember, "Obstacles don't have to stop you.
If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up.
Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
Michael Jordan